30

-• my fallen star •-

Rudra

I seldom believed in myths.
But I did once. Just once.

Taranya goes back to ignoring me the next morning. Didn't I say one day her hot and cold attitude is going to be the death of me? It leaves me feeling estranged whenever she refuses to gaze at me warmly. Her blues bear the power to weaken me in the knees. I wish she knew. I wish she felt half the intensity of my love towards her. Would she be scared? Would she be overwhelmed? Or will she finally understand me?

"Should I cook today?" I offer.

She pauses briefly, her eyes flitting towards me through the reflection in the mirror. "No, I like to cook. I'm more comfortable doing that than washing dishes."

I nod.

She resumes getting ready for the day. I stay in the bed and read a book. She has pulled back into her shell again. And I'm a little tired. I didn't think I'd ever be tired of expressing myself. After all, my feelings were sequestered for a long time, it's only now that I've grown familiar with them, and became comfortable sharing them with the people around me. Maybe because I didn't know along with expressing myself openly, I will also have to convince people of their sincerity. Is that why people like me are less likely to be trusted? I don't blame them.

My phone on the nightstand starts to blare. I pick it up and read the name flashing on the screen.

"Hello, sir." I greet upon answering the call.

"Hello, Rudra, my secretary got in touch with me recently with your message. I cannot promise you positive results, but I'll try." He replies, dimming my hope a little bit. "Politics gets nasty, Rudra, and to stay in power, I've to make sure I'm proven worthy of it. With the recent threats from the opposition party, I've to focus solely on my party so the current government doesn't collapse. But I assure you, once I deal with the problems on my end, I'll consider your request and see if I can do anything."

"I totally understand, sir."

"Thank you. And if I get this done, promise to meet me personally this time. I've gone far too long without meeting the real power behind Esther Industries."

I nod. "Sure, sir."

"Great, see you when the time is right. Bye."

"Bye." Hanging up, I toss the phone on the nightstand.

When Yuvraaj said there's no on-paper evidence of the Chairman's fraud, I was more than confident that I can produce one after pulling around a few strings. I lost hope on Virendra as soon as I saw him in the morning during breakfast. Not a stray dog will glance at him twice, there's no way the higher officials at the main corporation will trust him with any confidential information. Hence, I turned to my political connections. But I reached a deadend there too.

"The launch is six months away. Make your call."

I sigh.

I don't have six months in total. Once the model passes the tests, documents go through and Rajawat Motors get the approval sanctioned by the government, it's official. I cannot reverse it. They will immediately start advertising campaigns, exhibitions, and events. Launch is simply a fancy packaging of a product to satisfy people's expectations.