65

-• one down •-

Rudra

"Can you drop me off at Veer Mahal?"

I shoot Taranya a look of exasperation. After staying out overnight in Ratangarh of all places, the last thing she should be doing is finding more reasons to stay out late.

"I thought I told you the Chairman doesn't like it -"

"Fuck him. Janet is back in India. I gotta go meet her." She cuts me off.

Dropping the conversation, I veer to the left at the next intersection. She'll always do what she wants. There's no point in arguing with her over something she has already set her mind on. After dropping her off at the Veer Mahal, I headed to Rajawat Motors.

"What's the update?" I ask Shailja on my way to the office.

She shoves an iPad screen in front of me. I take it and play the video she has put on for me to watch. "Were all test drives successful?" I ask as I open the door to my cabin and stalk inside.

"Yes, sir," she follows me.

"Any response from the legal team?" I sit down in my chair and look up at her in question.

She takes the iPad from me, holding it to her chest as she shakes her head.

I lean back in the chair, bracing my elbow on the arm rest, my gaze darting towards the floor-to-ceiling windows, the city skyline most prized view of my office.

"I might be speaking out of bounds here, but considering our relationship with the Chief Minister, I don't think he's going to approve our request." She shares her opinion. "Shouldn't we drop this idea and move on to our back up already? I mean, we only have two months in our hands-"

"Shailja," Stopping her blabber with my hand, I motion the same for her to leave. "Let's do what we get paid for, okay?"

"Sorry, sir." Keeping her head low, she exits my office and closes the door after her.

She's right.

But she's expressing her concern to the wrong person. I don't give two hoots about what happens to this company. That's what I'm aiming for anyway. Its destruction. I was never in their team. I always acted like I was, but ever since the beginning, I was playing my game and they were getting played.

Once Rajawat Corporation goes down, they're going down as well.

It's not their fault. They did nothing wrong. The subjects don't choose their King. They are unfortunate in the sense their King cannot be dethroned. So for him to go down, the Kingdom has to go down as well. Their King's collapse, is their collapse, like what they teach you in domino effect.

By the end of the day, I'm served with several alternatives we can go with if our request isn't approved until tomorrow morning. I discard them all in the dustbin. The officials sigh and return to their cubicles and offices looking torn down, perhaps thinking their boss is an ambitious fool.

I'm ambitious, yes.

But they're the fools.

At seven in the evening, I leave the office and abandon my car in front of a casino, texting Amir to get it from there before sitting inside the one Yuvraaj drove in to pick me up.