50

-• the underrated spy •-

Taranya

If there's one thing I've learned from my husband, then it's to pretend you've got the shit in control even when you're in the middle of a catastrophe. There's no way I can keep driving any further. In less than a mile, the long trees will reveal the glimpses of the farmhouse, and once someone gets a whiff of our secrets, there will be no stopping from bringing them to light. The risk is too big, and exactly something we can't afford. That's how I find myself flipping on the turn signal as I slow down to the left of the highway and press the brakes.

The car behind me automatically slows. I push the door open and step out, revealing myself fully to the glaring headlights. Niharika's eyes meet mine and she parks the car behind mine before getting out as well. I close the door and walk to the end of my car, leaning back on the trunk as I cross my arms and wait for her.

She slams the door close and approaches me.

"And I thought you loved my husband? Is this your epic coming out?" I smirk. "Was your heart always with me?"

"Excuse me?" She screws her face in disbelief.

"I'm giving you the benefit of doubt, Niharika. It's not a regular occurrence that a renowned lawyer stalks her boss's wife." I shrug.

"I was not stalking you!" She hisses. "I was following you."

"You've the arguing skills of a toddler's intelligence. I'm concerned about your career, Niharika."

She grits her teeth. "I'm not explaining shit to you. Especially when you've a lot to do on your side." She points towards me and the deserted road. "Does Shourya know you're cheating on him?"

For the first minute, I'm taken aback, then I almost laugh, before realising from her point of view, she must have enough visual evidence to make such bold accusations. The last few nights, when I had to have dinner with the Rajawats? I spent an awful lot of time texting back and forth with Shourya. After that uncomfortable encounter last week, he had been trying his best to get me back into the ease of our bonding, and he always sent me corny jokes to make me laugh. I had to clear my throat every time I caught myself wanting to laugh out loud. We're treading the line of friendship and I'm all up for it. But maybe I should have kept my chatting to the confines of my office cubicle, seeing as people in the Rajawat Estate are always so keen on keeping an eye on each other.

"What happened? Cat got your tongue?" She mocks.

I look at her, focusing back on the brewing misunderstanding. "No, your audacity left me speechless. If you think I owe you any explanation, you're wrong."

"That's what someone says when they have something to hide." She crosses her arms on her chest smugly. I don't retort. She can make up ridiculous theories in her mind for all I care but I still don't give jack shit. "Fine, you don't owe me any explanation? I get it. I don't hold any significance in your life. But Shourya? I'm sure he'll be ecstatic to know his wife is driving out of Jaigarh when she leaves the palace under the pretext of going home." As she says that, her phone is already out and Rudra's number is on the dial screen.

Anxiety curls into a knot in my stomach. I know the truth. Rudra knows it too. It's the fact that no one else does. Niharika thinks I've lied to Rudra, when he knows I've lied too, but how do we make her understand that? She's looking out for the man she loves, maybe has a sliver of hope that by bringing my so-called "deceit" into light, she'll be opening Rudra's eyes and making herself notice more. I don't blame her. She's taking whatever chance she can get, clinging to every hope that shines with the possibility of her future with him. The feeling unsettles me, and I've half a mind to grab the woman by her throat and tear her vocal chords apart so she finally shuts up forever, but I hold back.