chpt. 31(I)

Guess what?!

My book is about to hit 10K+ votes, I love you all so so much and thank you for voting!!!! This chapter is dedicated to all my supporters <3

***Update: I just skyrocketed to 11k, please excuse me as I faint!

*The song is by Alina Baraz- Fantasy.

•••

The conference was going by very smoothly. Layton had reserved two special seats next to him and Anne where Rayne and I could join him while the defense officers sat on the opposite end. The room was pretty nice as well. The floors were gray tile, with cerulean blue walls and steel accents to balance out the color scheme. In the center of the room was a long, rectangular steel table with plush office chairs all around it. To liven up the room, there were large glass windows that revealed the well groomed, evergreen terraces of the estate. The decor was quite lovely indeed.

However the attendants of the conference were what caught my attention the most. The defense officers were graying men, but still held that familiar vibrancy from their prime days. They all looked really good for their age, that's all I'm saying. Anne looked stunning and pinched Layton when he spoke for too long. She was wearing a creme silk blouse with black fitted trousers and a peep toe Louboutin heels to give the look a classy edge. Layton wore a white dress shirt with khaki pants and boat shoes. Casual chic, I thought.

Rayne and I however, were dressed for some serious bidness(yes I spelt it like this on purpose for emphasis ya'll.). I wore a white shift dress that hugged me in the right places, navy blue suede Manolo kitten toe pumps, and diamond stud earrings to match my ring. My hair was pulled back into a low bun after the incident on the way here. Since I picked out his outfit, Rayne's colors correlated with my own. He wore a white dress shirt with navy pinstripes, navy blue dress pants, and camel dress shoes to match his belt. With his gelled hair and clean shaven face, he looked like he walked off of a cover of GQ.

"Alpha, I insist that the best plan of action is to attack him head on. Shall we let him continue to kill and torment us? We're practically sitting ducks." One of the generals said. Personally, I thought it wasn't a good idea. Jason wants us to come to him, he knows that if he provokes us long enough, we'll act on anger and fall right into his trap.

"Absolutely not." Rayne and Layton said at the same time. Anne and I snickered, Rayne shot me a pointed look so I stuck my tongue out at him.

"Michaelson, care to share your thoughts?" Layton insisted, leaning forward on his forearms.

"I do actually." He continued. "Here's the thing, he wants us to come after him. The murders, the hostages, are all pawns of his game. He knows that if he continues to provoke us we'll break. That is not happening." He adjusted his collar in a way that made him look like he called the shots, which was h-o-t.

"I agree. Marshall, please come up with a better strategy that won't get us all massacred." Layton said, glancing at the four men opposite him.

"How about luring him into a trap? There must be something that he wants, yes?" I froze, the revelations of earlier threatening to make me sick again. Rayne placed his hand on my thigh, easing the edge a little. "Land. He wanted his territory back, so let's schedule a fake negotiation and have our best stealth fighters finish up the job from there."

"You know for a fact that he won't be meeting with us alone. It'll be too obvious that we brought backup." Another general chided in. The whole two hours that we sat here proved to be meaningless as all that was going on was middle aged men arguing back and forth about what to do, rather than asking for insight. It was like a competition and very childish in a way. There are hundreds of lives in danger and yet they bickered among themselves like children. Something has to be said.