chpt. 38

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING CHAPTER MAY REQUIRE A BOX OF TISSUES, DIAPERS, AND A HELMET.

ALSO, THE SONG IS COLOURING-KEVIN GARRETT
(Play it towards the end, kay?)

That is all. Enjoy :)

•••

THREE WEEKS AGO...

R.

"You have to eat, honey. It's been days." My mother pleaded with me.

I paid her no mind, adding the finishing touches to a battle plan drafted up by my military officers and I. I've read the plan from front to back, making sure everything was precise without any errors. Editing out a mistake, I sat back in my chair and focused my attention on my overly concerned mother. This was her daily routine. Checking in every ten minutes in my office to see what I was doing. She was worried that I was going to starve and overwork myself to death, now that I had dedicated every hour of my life to planning a mass attack and rescue mission. With the help of my peers, I was going to save my Mate and destroy the Silver Moon pack in one fell swoop.

"I don't have the time for fine meals, mom. My Mate is out there, waiting for me to come save her and I will stop at nothing until I do." I said in a tone of finality, flipping through a book of contacts.

"She'd want you to eat, to be strong and healthy before you go off to battle." She said softly, ruffling her fingers in my hair.

"And get a haircut." She joked, pulling at a strand of my long hair and flopping it over my forehead, covering my eyes. I tried to smile, but it came out more like a grimace.

"She'd want me to stop at nothing to get her back mom, don't you understand? I will not rest until I have her back, I can't close my eyes without thinking about that night." Once I started to open up, I couldn't stop. I tried so hard to keep everything locked up and bottled away, so I could focus on my mission. Looking at my mother's kind face, she placed a kiss on my forehead and waited for me to continue.

"She was dying, and miraculously she turned out to be alright. Even though Jason beat me senseless, catching a glimpse of her filled me with hope, hope that she'd be alright after all. Then, she came to me...to say goodbye. It was like my heart was being ripped out of my chest and in my place was a shell of a man, once filled with hope but now, left empty. When she left, I left." I didn't realize that I was gripping the desk so hard, pieces of it started to crumble as soon as I pulled my hand away. My body was shaking, trembling with rage.

"When I found out what exactly he wanted with her-to do with her, I was going to do it, mom. I was going to shut it all off, my humanity. I was going to let the beast take over and hunt him down. There were no words to describe the fervent hatred that I felt and that I still feel very strongly to this day. I'm still that shell of a man, but angry...and lonely. I can't feel her anymore, I used to be able to know where she was, I still remember the taste of her lips...." I trailed off, forgetting that I was speaking to my mother. She remained unphased, listening carefully to my words.

"I'm alone, and I could feel that void in my heart opening back up, threatening to consume me whole. I miss her so much, mom. I feel like I'm dying every second she's not here." She took my hands in hers, wiping something wet away from my face. I was crying. I turned away, holding my head in my hands as I rested my weight on my forearms.

"You, no we will get her back. In order to do that you need to come out of your office, replenish your strength with a large meal, speak to your father and I, and lead. It is your duty now. I miss her too sweetie." She forced me to look into her glassy eyes, and brought my head to her chest in a crushing hug.