chpt.13

Rayne's P.O.V.

I left as soon as she closed the bathroom door. I needed some alone time and I couldn't be distracted by the delicious smell of my mate. You know you don't want to be alone, she won't be happy when she realizes you left her without an explaination. My wolf was right 90% of the time when he wasn't acting on impulse. I didn't want to be alone, in fact I wanted to hold her and let her caress my skin like she loved doing. Thinking about her doing so filled me with insatiable longing. We need our Mate's touch, it's the only way to ease us. My wolf snapped at me impatiently. He was right but I was afraid of her asking me why I was acting like this.

Today, we lost two more pack members at the hands of Jason's savagery. My father mindlinked me the report. They weren't from the Raven Pack but they were part of our ally pack, Dark Woods. More specifically, it was his Beta that was doing all the dirty work for him. His Beta, Christian was killing my pack members for a specific reason. Christian was insanely jealous and insanely evil. Those two qualities determined the fate of my comrades. The fact made me angry and the real reason why he was doing this made me feel incredibly hopeless.

His mate Blair, is in love with me.

I needed to get out of here now. I couldn't face Ashlyn. My wolf was scratching to get out. As soon as I stepped outside my
home, I let him free.

Ashlyn's P.O.V.

I ran out of the bedroom and halted when I realized, where the hell did he go?! I haven't
had a chance to explore the rest of the house and the with the size of the backyard, it was nearly impossible to explore all of it in one day. I decided to put my heightened senses to the test. I took a whiff of the air and caught a faint note of his scent. I took off in the direction. The bond was telling me that he was growing increasingly stressed and I couldn't bear it.

The scent got stronger as I stepped outside and neared closer to a clearing in the forest. I was well into the woods by now and normally my feet would be tired from running on such rocky soil but all I could focus on with Rayne. His scent grew stronger as I was running northeast. Soon, I started feeling a bit fatigued and stopped for a few deep breaths. Panting slightly, I took another whiff of the air. He was close. I slowed my pace to a jog as the forest terrain faded away and the crunch of rocks and sand accquainted my feet. I was on a coast of some sort and as I went further down, the blue waves of the ocean greeted me. I saw a ball of shiny black fur a fair distance away from the water.

I approached him cautiously and observed his face. He was staring off into the ocean, laying down with his ears perked. He quickly caught my scent as he whipped his head in my direction. I stopped a few feet away from him. I wanted to ask him so many questions, starting with why he ran off and why was he so down today. I didn't like being out of the information bubble. Looking at his Wolf, I could tell that he truly was struggling with something. He let out soft whimpers every so often and the urge to soothe him replaced my need for answers.

I sat next to him and slowly, reached out a hand to stroke his imcredibly soft fur. He shifted closer to me this time, clearly liking my touch. I ran my hand along his smooth fur a couple times until he straigtened up. He jerked his head to a boulder and went behind it. He emerged in his human form a moment later and still had that stressed look on his face, though this time it wasn't as strained. He approached his previous spot and sat down next to me.

I was about to ask him about earlier but he beat me to it.

"Two members of one of our ally packs died. It was carried out by Christian, Jason's Beta. He's trying to intimidate all of our allies by scaring them away and killing them off. Without them, our chances of winning the war will decline." I took in the information.