chpt. 12

I was in a peaceful state when I woke up. Images of my Mate's honey brown eyes and perfect features invaded my thoughts immediately and I felt my cheeks heat up at the images that rushed through my mind. Many of them were inappropriate but encouraged by our mating bond that had yet to be completed. The way his eyes glistened while speaking, the way his muscles flexed as he walking confidently and gracefully, the way his jaw clenched whenever he had something on his mind. Even though he seemed like a prideful, carefree guy that had things going for himself. Soon enough, it would be time for him to step up as Alpha of the strongest pack on the East Coast.

Not to mention he's finally found me after 5 years of thinking we hasn't worthy of love. The thought of him suffering like that, being surrounded by people who were mated and in love without anymore to love of your own made my heart ache. I realized that there was more to him than I thought. Whenever we'd have a pack meeting about more deaths in the pack, I noticed that along with anger...there was a hint of guilt in his expression, almost like he had something to do with their deaths. The nosy side of me wanted to know what was up with that but my subconscious screamed at me to hold the thought. Something about the subject of death seemed so taboo and I didn't want to poke into it too fast. I'll know soon enough.

My thought process was halted when I heard the door open quietly and the sweet scent of my mate invaded my nostrils. I quickly shut my eyes pretending I was asleep, not wanting to lose my train of thought. He went into the bathroom, making sure not to slam it. He probably thought I was asleep. Ever since we shared our blood at our ceremony, I felt my senses heighten and increase in strength. I could now smell more potently, my hearing was more sensitive, and I could feel faint pangs of his emotions sometimes. With this increase, I felt like more of a wolf in someway.

Being his mate, I realized that I'd have to adapt to the life of being a Luna. I'd have to put the pack before myself. Providing him with heirs, keeping peace within our pack and others, and being the main support for my Mate, to help him run the pack overall. Imagining myself in such a responsible role wasn't hard at all, I actually welcomed it because I've been preparing to lead the council my whole life, thanks to my father. Thinking about having children with him was bittersweet I must admit. The idea of having mini Rayne jr.'s running around and building a nursery for our son/daughter warmed me and filled me with a glimmer of hope for the future. The downside to the thought was the gruesome details that I've heard about hybrid birthings.

My father once told me why there are no hybrids running around. Human females were deemed inept to carry the child of werewolves after a few violent deaths of the mothers during childbirth. The hybrids were too strong for the mothers to birth and they usually died soon after. These children were born from parents who weren't mates so that explained the fact why human/wolf pairings were rare, close to being extinct due to the complications. It wasn't natural for wolves to date or mate with someone not choosen by fate. If they do, they face severe consequences. Thankfully, we were mates so if we decide to have children, the births will be successful.

Keeping peace would be a difficult task but it surely can be done. Throughout my whole
life, I'd always been the optimist. The person always seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. That was always my most favorable/weakest quality. Always having hope and refusing to give up but feeling the negative effects twice as hard when things don't work out the way they planned. Being the main support for Rayne, the thought made my heart swell with joy. I wanted to know every single thing about him and be the one he comes to for love, comfort, and peace. I sighed at the thought. Love. Something that I want so bad. I have my Mate so I'm excited to see our relationship grow and to blossom into something that's worth fighting for.

"...I'm falling for you Ashlyn Black" his rich voice echoed in my head. Our connection was instantaneous. It still was hard to believe when I looked back on all of our moments together, that you could fall for someone so easily. Its because he's your mate, It was destined to happen. I had hope in he and I. Although our bond was rare, it was real. Definitely something worth fighting for.

I heard the bathroom door open and I felt the nip of fresh steam at my skin. I felt him walk and stand over me for his smell was fresh and enveloping me. I took a deep breath, welcoming the sweet air into my lungs. Soon enough, I felt moist lips rest upon my forehead in a lingering kiss. When he moved away, I wanted to reach out and return the kiss. I couldn't though, your girl had morning breath and I wasn't trying to kill the vibe. I pretended to yawn as if I was waking up and stretched my arms to make it more believable. I rubbed my eyes and blinked rapidly to adjust to the light and I found an expectant Rayne staring at me as he slipped a tank top over his head.

"Good morning" he said in a cool voice. Oh hell no...something was up, I felt it.

"Morning...." I said trailing off. An awkward silence stretched over us for a moment before I decided to speak.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He looked at me, unsure of his answer.

"It's decided, we're talking about it right when I get out of the shower." I said springing up out of bed, grabbing my towel, and a change of clothes in the process. He didn't reply and it hurt. Seeing my Mate like this hurt me in a way I've never felt before. It made me feel like I wasn't doing my part by not providing him comfort.

I hurried into the bathroom and quickly stripped off my clothes. I stepped into the shower stream and the tension in my muscles relaxed. Seeing Rayne like that made me tense up quite a bit. I had to know what was wrong and help him, I just had to. Moments later, I was fully clean and stepped out of the shower. I let my hair get wet and I didn't care, I needed to comfort Rayne. I changed into a pair of drawstring sweats along with a tank top that left a wide majority of my curvy chest exposed. I opened the door, expecting to see Rayne in the room but he was gone. He'd left me alone.

He wasn't going to get away with that.

-----

Hey readers! I just wanted to thank you all for over 2K reads ahh!!! Your support means everything and the fact that you all are enjoying the book inspires me to keep going ❤️ Don't forget to vote!

Ash