ch. twenty-eight

CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT . . .
. . . THE FALL OF SUGURU GETO !

One year later...

It was August, already over a year since the incident of the Star Plasma. The sun was out and currently, Satoru stood far away from Shoko and Suguru, waiting.

"Here we gooo," Shoko said, both she and Suguru launching an eraser and pencil towards the white-haired boy, only it didn't make contact. The pencil floated in the air and the erasing just bounced off from an invisible force.

Satoru grabbed the floating erasing, "Yeah, it's working."

"Ugh, what the heck was that?"

"Automatic selection of targets for your jujutsu technique?" Suguru asked, standing the farthest away, Shoko and Satoru basking in the heat as he stayed in the shadows.

"Yupe! Though to be precise, I'm the target for the technique. I've automated what I used to do manually. Based on the strength of its cursed energy, its mass, its velocity, and its shape. I'd like to get it to discern poisons, too, but that's still proving difficult. this will allow me to keep my limitless technique active almost perpetually with minimal resources."

"Having it perpetually active will fry your brain."

"But I can also keep running the reverse cursed technique with the energy I generate on my own..."

Suguru began to swim in his mind, Satoru had finally reached his full potential, the "strongest." The prime of his abilities, he said that Miran was the one to bring him here, giving him enough time to perfect it.

Miran.

That name hasn't been uttered once by any of them, they mostly avoided it at all costs, her. Suguru hasn't, his mind always seems to drift off to the olive-eyed girl, wondering if she was at peace underground.

 Suguru hasn't, his mind always seems to drift off to the olive-eyed girl, wondering if she was at peace underground

... No, she couldn't be.

As much as he tries to convince himself, he knows the truth, wherever she was, she wasn't in peace- "Suguru, have you lost weight?"

Satoru's voice brought him back as he leaned on his side, his circular glasses shining in the sun, "You, okay?"

He handled all of his missions alone, Shoko was never sent out on dangerous missions in the first place, and Miran... which naturally meant I was sent on missions alone more often, too.

"It's just heat fatigue," Suguru made an excuse, he was tired too, so tired.

Satoru smiled, "Did you eat too much Sōmen?"

Things were busy that summer.

Likely spurred by the frequent disasters of the past year, cursed spirits were springing up like maggots.