ch. nine

CHAPTER NINE . . .
. . . NEW YEARS !

It has been more than a week since her sister's death. Today was New Year's.

"I wonder what eye color you'll have," Miran hushed out as Megumi cuddled in her arms. She smiled at his innocence, he was so peaceful. He was a quiet baby, he never really cried a lot, only if he needed to. Other than that, he was a blessing.

Nurses have come by to check up on them two, considering they were children and had no guardians to claim them, well, except Toji

She decided after the third day he'd come back, he had to. She will not go into foster care or get separated from Megumi. She would rather be with Toji than in the system, for Megumi's sake.

They also taught her how to take care of Megumi, change his diapers, burp him, and make his bottles. Miran was grateful that she was a fast learner, especially at this time.

Every time she looked at the bundle of joy within her arms, the more she knew, she needed to be strong. For Megumi. Even if the world was against her, she knew at the end of the day, someone else needed her. A baby who hasn't even opened his eyes.

It was nearly midnight, and she could hear the faint explosion of fireworks around the hospital. It was a celebration to most people, it was a new year. At this moment, this day, it was a reminder of the new year Miran had to face.

 At this moment, this day, it was a reminder of the new year Miran had to face

A start where her sister wasn't in the picture anymore, she was gone. This year was like the start of a chapter, one where her sister was dead. She wondered what else would come from this chapter.

Miran was on a bed, lying down, and used a pillow to prop up her upper body. Megumi was sleeping on her, his small hand grasping her larger finger. He never let go. She wasn't going to either.

A knock was heard on the door and opened to the nurse who repeatedly visited them, "How are you two doing?" she asked while standing at the door frame. Miran hummed and motioned with her other hand to the little baby, "He's sleeping."