Trust

𝄃 𝄞♬♪ 𝄂
Ooh, come on, trust one another
Ooh, come on, like a sister or a brother
Ooh, come on, trust one another (trust)
Ooh, come on (come on), like a sister or a brother (trust)
Ooh, come on (come on), trust one another (trust)
Ooh, come on (come on), like a sister or a brother (trust)
Ooh, come on (come on), trust one another (trust)
𝄃 𝄞♬♪ 𝄂

"You're sure we can't die again, Alex? Because it sure feels like we're about to." Reggie didn't like heights—despite his favorite place in the whole world being a cliff—but he always claimed it was worse when he looked straight down at the drop.

They usually trusted his judgement, but his judgement, in this case, seemed flawed. Sitting on the Orpheum sign was one thing, standing on the top of a skyscraper was a whole other beast. Alex liked the thrill of living on the edge, since he never got to do it in his actual life. Luke had done this while he lived, so it didn't phase him in the slightest. (Well, obviously not this, but pretty similar.)

"No, unless you count crossing over. But no one really knows what happens when you cross over, so who knows?" Alex's overly philosophical answer managed to distract Reggie from the task at hand. At least, it did just enough for them to get a good look at the city from up high.

"Oh, wow." Reggie managed to look up for a single second and took in the view. "You weren't kidding, Alex. This is insane." Luke had to agree with Reggie on that. Seeing the glass glittering in the sun and the contrast of the colors as they looked out to the horizon, the ocean barely visible above the buildings.

"Yeah, it's one of the best things that..." Alex let his sentence trail off in the wind, but Reggie and Luke both knew how he would've ended the sentence. That Willie showed me.

"You know we both think Willie is really good for you, right?" Luke asked. "He's made you happier than either of us have ever seen you."

Alex knew how happy Willie made him. That didn't make it hurt any less. He loved spending all the time he could with Willie, but there were parts of him that told him Willie could disappear in an instant and he couldn't get too attached. And, there was also the matter of his parents. Sure, they were still alive somewhere in the world (most likely, at least, given that both of Reggie's and Luke's parents were still alive), but they'd made their disapproval so abundantly clear. There still existed a part of him that seeked his parents' approval. Sure, it wasn't realistic, but he couldn't help it. They were his parents.

"I know," Alex whispered. Now, despite the wind in his hair and nothing except two fellow ghosts near him, he could feel his chest collapsing with the weight of the anxiety he'd carried with him all this time. He really thought he was getting better. "I have to go."

With that, he left his two best friends at the top of a skyscraper, both of which had a myriad of questions.

He couldn't bear to be near them, not when he felt like this. The more he thought about it, the worse he felt. Thoughts of his parents when he'd come out and said he preferred guys—and only guys—flooded his mind.

"Mom, dad, I have something to tell you." Alex, at fourteen, had known for a year he liked guys. How couldn't he, with the way they looked in magazines and TV shows? Even the ones at his middle school, which had barely started to develop into the men they'd eventually become, caught his eye every once in a while.

"What's up, sweetheart?" His mother asked, looking up from the case file she was perusing. His father quickly followed suit when she jabbed him with her elbow.

"I—" Alex couldn't get the words out. He'd heard his parents go on and on about cases involving same-sex marriage. Somehow, every single one managed to flood his mind and force his voice to become useless. "I like guys."