Chapter 25 - A Flame Stronger than Fire

"Okay, we are in position, do your things," Scourge's voice scratched through the communicator in your ear. Glancing to stare at Metal who stood beside you, you motioned your head forward, signalling for him to set the distraction. A satisfied whirr buzzed from him, his engine roaring to life. Thrusting forward, he crashed into the side of a random building to create a distracting explosion. Pieces of rubble flew from the crater Metal created, dust settling in the air.

Ear flicking to the side, you watched Sonic and his team instantly react to the disturbance, their figures visible in through the dust. Once the dust rested back down, Metal turned himself around to face the team. He extended his claws, eyes red with excitement. He has been itching for a fight.

"Metal, get out before-" Sonic started but never finished as Metal dashed forward, slashing his claws in the air. The team barely missed his attack, all stumbling on their feet. Metal's claws dug into the dirt, piercing into the solid rock with ease. Yanking his claws free, he quickly glanced to were you hid behind a flush bush. With a puff, he flicked his ear twice before reengaging his battle with Sonic.

That was your que.

Leaping out from the bushes, you launched your self at Knuckles. His ear twisted back catching the rustle of the bushes. Spinning around, he bared his teeth at your sight. Lifting a fist, he launched his fist towards you, aiming for your face.

Perfect.

Ducking under his fist as he swung it forward, you slid your knees against the dirt, using your tail to spin your around to face the back of the echidna. Your hands firmly planted themselves into the dirt, allowing you to flip yourself forward, your legs swinging over your head. Pushing off your hands, you kicked the echidna with both your legs causing him to fall face first into the dirt. Pulling back on your attack, you used your momentum to spin to the side, landing next to the echidna instead of having your feet squash him.

Amy screeched, her piko hammer raised high. Feeling your hot breathe warm your masked face, you lowered your self to the ground, one hand softly leaning on the ground for support. Eyes sharpening, you readied for her attack. Her hammer came crashing down, readying itself to flatten you to the floor. Jumping to the side, you narrowly missed the hammer. All of Amy's weight relied on the support of her hammer as she hit the floor creating a puff of dust. Swiftly standing on your feet, you kicked one leg out and spun around, knocking her hammer out from under her, her face meeting the floor where her hammer once stood.

Ears twitching to the loud sound of Sonic's quills colliding with Metal's in a spin dash, you lifted your head up and met eyes with Tails. A hidden smile was plastered on your muzzle, your tail wanting to wag but couldn't considering the fact its was uncomfortably sitting hidden inside your suit. Tails struggled to hide his smile, twisting his tails with each other to prevent them from swaying side to side.

Sliding your foot back for a solid stance, you launched yourself towards the twin tailed fox. He stepped to the side to avoid your 'attack'. You could have easily countered his movement, but you pretended like his simple sidestep was the most sudden thing ever. Missing the fox, you spun yourself around to make you lose your balance as you hit the floor with the heel of your foot. You arms waved around as you attempted to keep your balance. After a bit of unexpected stumbling, you regained your footing.

Once you did, Tails jumped towards you, a smile clear on his face as you both intertwined your fingers as you held each others hands. Pretending to push one another, in order not to blow your cover, Tails smirked at you, his eyes brows raising up and down making you chuckle.

"Hey gorgeous," he winked. You were happy your face was hidden by the shadow of your hood and covered by your mask as it burned at a hot red at his flirt. Rolling your eyes at his comment, barely keeping your composure, you shook your head. "What?" he snickered at your reaction blunt reaction, "You are absolutely stunning." He teased. Your face turned into a cherry, and Tails knew it by your widened eyes.

Clearing your throat, you decided to get some revenge. Closing your face in on his, you were mere centimeters from touching his nose. While your mask made it less intimate, you could sense the warmth radiating off his face, your eyes falling halfway as you stared into his eyes.

"Careful fox, I could easily wipe that smile off your face," you whispered, gently pushing his hands back. His ears perked, cheeks burning red along with the tips of his ears. His blue eyes were wide, stunned. Blinking a few times, his smirk returned as he gently pushed your arms back, moving his head towards yours, shocking you.

He was turning this back on you.

"I would like to see you try," he uttered confidently. Shaking your head, you both sharpened your eyes at one another, waiting for the other to move.

CRASH!

Both your head snapped to the side, ears catching the loud sound. Sonic was forced to the ground, Metal pinning him down with his feet as he whirred in victory.

"We should move this along shouldn't we?" Tails asked looking back at you. You nodded.

"Yeah we should-" You were interrupting as Tails bumped you to the ground with his tails. Landing on your behind, you grunted as you hit the dusty floor. You gave the fox an unamused glance with a raised eye brow as he winked at you again with a chuckle.

"See ya later," he shouted, using two of his fingers to send you a salute before running off towards his laboratory. With a roll of your eyes, you grinned as he went to stop Scourge and Eggman. Standing up, you dusted yourself off.

I'll get you back for that.

An ear-piercing screech caught your attention. Your ears flattened as Metal launched from the downed Sonic, going after the two tailed fox. His eyes were so focused on the fox, he didn't notice you as you stepped in his way. He rammed into you, sending you both crashing into the floor. Tumbling in the dirt, you ended up over top the Metal hedgehog. His eyes were flames as he screeched into your hooded ear.

"Oops," you shrugged. Kicking you off him, you landed on your back. He jumped to his feet but tails was out of sight.

"(Y/N), Metal, retreat! The mission was a failure!" A relived smile fell on your face as those, words. Tails succeeded. Metal's claws tightened into fists in frustration. He glared down at you but obeyed, his engine firing up as he flashed from view and disappeared into the surrounding forest.

Using your knees as support, you got to your own feet. Lowing yourself to the floor, you jumped up onto the branch of a nearby tree. Spinning on the branch, you watched as Knuckles and Amy got back on their feet, uninjured. Sonic groaned, a few of his quilled snapped, but mostly unhurt. Ear twitching, you smiled as Tails came running over towards them, his tails happily wagging out of sync. He glanced up at the tree tops, catching your gaze. He smiled up at you.

Grabbing the top of your hood, and the bottom of your mask, you freed your face from his cover. You returned his grin with an added on wink, before spinning around and vanishing into the trees.