Chapter 6 - Your Not The Hero

_______

THUD!

Your bag landed on the dusty ground, the glass bottle clicking. With a powerful push, you launched yourself forward. Your legs moved quickly, your arms outstretched towards the child. Your ears flattened in determination as you got closer to the child. Just mere seconds before the robot crushed the little girl, you managed to grab her. You pulled her close to you, her arms and lags wrapping around your frame in fear.

Dust surrounded you as the beast begun to jump around, trying to shake the fox out of its inner system while also dodging Sonic's attacks. Jumping around, you dodged each stomp of the bull's legs. You kept your grip on the kid as you tried to weave through the robotic legs. Every stomp left dents in the earths soil, making it harder for you to keep your footing.

From behind you Tails gave a small yelp as he was almost thrown out from the open panel in the bull's underbelly. His gloved hands held on as he swung around, his grip slipping. One of his hands lost grip causing his head to look down in panic. As he moved his hand back up to grab the edge again, his eyes met yours for a singular heart beat. It may have been the dust or the adrenaline rushing through your veins, but you swore he gave you a small smile. Both of you simultaneously refocused, him pulling himself up back into the robots systems, while you continued to dodge and dance around the wilds legs.

Sonic continued to rush around, distracting the beast while rescuing citizens from falling debris. While you lost focus for a moment, you lost your footing making you scream. Landing on your side, you watched as a giant hoof came rushing down to you and the girl. Grapping her closer, making sure to cover her from the danger, you awaited the pain with closed eyes.

Nothing.

Your ears twitched to the sound of zapping. Opening your eyes, you looked up only to see the metal foot inches away from your face. Quickly looking up at the robot, you noticed how the entire machine was frozen in place. Without any thought, you picked up the child and ran to the side lines. Turning around to look back at the bull robot, you saw Tails emerge from the panel and fly with his tails over to Sonic.

With a high five, he crossed his arms before chuckling, "its all yours." In seconds, Sonic rushed at the machine, hitting it in the face with an iconic spin dash. With its body frozen and defenses down it fell to the spin dash.

Rubbing his nose, Sonic pointed towards Eggman only to find he wasn't there.

Odd.

Very odd.

Where was his speech? His claim to vengeance? His awful backup plan? His entire monologue about how this was all a distraction?

You tilted you head at this, your ears flattening in confusion. Shaking your head, you place the little girl on the ground, allowing her to continue to sniffle in your side.

Sonic began walking around, cheeking up on everyone as people began to continue about their day. Tails turned towards you, his eyes locking with yours again. He walked towards you with a friendly smile. Sweat began to cover the palms of your hands as you freak out.

RUN.

But you had a kid that was holding onto you for life. You could leave but that's cruel. But if you take her that's kidnapping. Before you knew it he was standing in front of you, grinning kindly.

"Hey, thanks for saving the kid back there," he spoke, admiring your bravery.

"Oh um... A-any one would have done it," you slightly stumble trying to hide your nerves.

"No," he shook his head making his bangs flow in the motion, "Not anyone would have done it."

Silence surrounded the both of you. You avoided eye contact by looking around awkwardly. Tails squinted his eyes, inspecting you for a moment making your heart race in panic thinking he recognized you.

"Your new around here ain't ya?" He finally spoke breaking the silence.

"Um," you hesitated, thinking. While you did come into town every once in a blue moon, you didn't know much about this place so you answered, "yeah. H-how did you know?"

He smiled, "for one, I have never seen you around before, and here in this little town, everyone known everyone. Which brings me to point two. If you lived around here, you wouldn't be holdin' that kid still."

You felt your fact burn in embarrassment since he was completely accurate. And just as he said it, the kids mum arrived in panicked joy. The little girl rushed to her mother in happiness, tears falling from her face as they hugged. Her mother thanked you repeatedly. It felt strange being thanked instead of yelled at with crude words. It felt kind of good.

NO. Your not the hero. Ignore it.

You watched as they left with a smile, remembering what your own mother was once like.

Forget it. Her love was fake.

"So," you snapped back to reality as Tails spoke, "since your new, I could show you around if you would like?"

You looked around thinking about it. But why were you thinking about it? He was your enemy.

Say no. Say no.

YOU BETTER SAY NO!

"Sure."

YOU FOOL!

You mentally slapped yourself as you mouth spoke without thought. Tails smile grew as his tails swished behind him in happiness. You found his smile contagious and couldn't help but give a little grin yourself. Suddenly his ears perk, remembering something.

"Oh pfft, I almost forgot. Apologies. Names Miles Prower, but you can call me Tails."

He moved his hand out awaiting for you to shake it. His entire personality was so friendly and trustworthy that for some reason you couldn't find yourself to lie. He trusted you with his real name so you thought what's the harm in giving yours. Besides, he knew his enemy as The Ghost not (Y/N).

Reaching your hands out you shook his gloved one.

"(Y/N) (L/N)."