Chapter 18 - Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust

Crossing your arms, you stood in Tails's hanger, watching him meddle with the planes control panel. His tails swished as he leaned over the piolet seat to press a few buttons with soft beeps. Chilly air blew into the hanger through the open hanger doors. The skies were a dark grey blue, a few fluffy clouds patching the sky. It was about halfway past 4, the sun beginning to slowly awaken from its slumber.

It was a peaceful time to be awake. A time that felt like the world was in your hands. So much could happen.

Taking in a deep inhale of the crisp air, your arms fell by your side as you approached the machinal endured fox.

"So, why did you wake me up at 2 in the morning in order to drag me out here when the sun is barely awake," you question, head falling sideways quizzingly. His ears perked up instantly with his tails increasing their speed

"(Y/N)!" Tails called with a smile. He let go of the side of the plane, land on the ground with ease. Dusting his gloves, he smiled as he approached you. "How was breakfast?"

"It was nice. Probably the best waffles I've had in a while," you shrugged. Tails grin widened. You could almost see his ego grow.

"Yeah well, I mean, you know," he waved it off, blush forming on his face, "The waffle maker is pretty great. The recipe even better."

"I really shouldn't feed your ego," you chuckled, bumping into him with your hip.

"I have no idea what your talking about," he winked. Rolling your eyes, Tails giggled before jogging up to his plane and facing you. He patted the side of his plane, chuffed with himself.

Yup, shouldn't have fed his ego.

"(Y/N), meet Tornado Three."

"Three? What happened to one and two," you jokingly asked.

"They self-imploded," he shrugged, unbothered. With ease he hopped on the wing of his plane. He continued to face you as he leaned against the bars that connected the double layers wings of his plane.

"W-what?" you stuttered, taking a step to the side to distance yourself from the red plane, which rocked a yellow stripe. Year ears flattened ad you stared at the flying vehicle. Tails's signature twin-tail emblem painted on the tail of the plane.

"Don't worry, third times the charm right," Tails stared at his plane happily. His hands resting on his hips.

"They normally say that about baking not plane explosions."

"Oh come on. I haven't added any modifications..." you lifted an unamused eye brow, knowing that wa a blatant lie. Your tail flicked as you crossed your arms, staring at the yellow orange fox. He timidly chuckled, rubbing the back of his neck, "... To a great extent."

You hum at his answer. Nearing the fox, you took slow, unsteady steps. Once you stood below the fox who gazed down at you from the wing, you glanced up at him.

"You want us, to fly? on this? Up there?" you point toward the plane then toward the sky. You gulped in fear. "I-I don't know," you hesitated. Your tail tucked, ears lowering.

The sky was just so far away.

Holding his hand out down to you, he gave you a gentle smile. "You will be fine. Trust me," he whispered reassuringly. As you gazed at his hand, when you met his eyes they were soft. Silently they reassured you. They told you that 'you'll be fine' and 'if you don't wanna do this, just say so.'

Shifting your eyes to reflect the grey blue of the sky you stuttered a sigh.

Imma regret this.