Chapter 23 - ...Who Breaks Your Heart

THANKS FOR 10K! HEARTS TO YOU ALL!!

Also, sorry for the late chapter, I had a lot of stuff to do this week and all my brain could think was AAAHHHHH!!

----

Branches creaked and groaned as they held the weight of the white icy power. Animals left their small footprints in the snow, scattering throughout the forest, revealing the true life of the forest despite the silent air. Soft white clouds floated across the baby blue sky, the soft morning sun slowly warming the frozen earth.

Frosted air puffed from your nose as you strolled through the forest, keeping your strides in pace with Scourge. Purposefully taking deep breathes, you let out big breathes of air to watch the cold air turn white, looking like smoke from a dragons nostrils. You had a small smile, amused by the cold air.

Your ear flicked to the side as Scourge coughed, clearing his throat. Your smile instantly fell as you rolled your eyes. Tearing your eyes away from your nose, you turned your gaze in the opposite direction. Ears falling, and tail flicking, you kept marching along.

"(Y/N)," he addressed you, folding his hands behind him. Silently growling, you crossed your arms and decided to rather listen to the crunching snow. "(Y/N)? I know you can here me," he flatly stated. Closing your eyes, you huffed. You began to quicken your steps, not wanting to listen. His steps fell silent. Peeking your eyes open, you quickly glanced back at him. Sharpening your eyes, you kept walking, not bothering to even consider stopping. "Your acting like a kid," Scourge grumbled after you, his ears falling flat.

"Nope," you muttered, hauling yourself over a fallen log. Your ears remained flat, eyes glued to the path forward. Scourge growled. His foot stomped on the ground in warning, hand pointing at the spot in front of him.

"Here, now," he commanded. Spinning around with half lidded eyes, you raised an eyebrow at his order. His ears flattened threateningly, his sharp tooth barring through his gritted teeth. Leaning against the fallen log, the snow melting into your gloves, your tail lashed behind you. You gave him a smirk accompanied with a roll of the eyes and a light chuckle.

"I'm not..." your smile dropped into a snarl as you hissed, "...Your kid." His head lowers, eyes boring into you. In seconds, he vanished. A rush of wind smacked your face causing you scrunch your face to protect it from the strong gust. Blinking, you stared at where Scourge just stood, fur raising.

"Careful who you anger (Y/N)," you jumped at his voice as it boomed behind you. Your ear flicked back as you snapped your head to face the green hedgehog who now stood behind you with raised quills. Staring at him, fear washed through you, but you kept your stance as he took a fierce step toward you. "Because they wont be so kind," he growled. Crossing your arms, you let your tail flick his words off.

"What are you going to do?" you sassed with a swish of your hips, flattening your ears as you took your ground back from him with a brave step, "You need me for whatever mission we have."

"Your walking on this ice miss!"

"For what?," you snapped, baring your fangs, fur puffed out, "Hurting your feelings? Last time I checked you were the heartless Scourge, a bandit with no remorse. You never cared for anything in your life." You leaned back as you finished, ears perking in confidence.

His eyes widened at your words, shocked. With a blink, he looked away from you, ears fallen. At his downcast face, you suddenly regretted your words. Closing your mouth, you awkwardly shuffled on your feet.

He did raise me when I had no one.

Why would I say something like that?

Sighing, his hands formed fists as he met your gaze, "Tomorrow night, we meet outside Tails's laboratory." Your ears twitched at the sound of the twin tailed fox's name. Your heart began to speed up with worry as Scourge continued to talk. "Me and Eggman are going to scavenge through his lab before burning it down. His inventions could foil future projects," he lifts his hand as you go to ask about the projects, "you don't need to know about it. All you need to know is that your job is to distract Sonic and the others to give us enough time to finish our part of the plan. Now, back to training."