Chapter 12 - Sunfall is Where We Meet

The calming sound of flickies chirping sung throughout the forest harmonising with the soft gentle breeze. Limping your way through the forest, you kept an arm around your stomach as you stormed through the woods with the winter air pricking at your skin through your fur. Your anger was flowing off you in waves, corrupting the calm place. But you didn't care. Your ears were flat and eyes glued straight. Deaf to the sweet sounds of the forest, you kept your staggering pace.

Your steps thumped against the floor like an angry toddler, with your nose scrunched up to fit the image. Not focusing to the world around you, it resulted in a lonely tree receiving a comforting hug. Grumbling, you rubbed your nose. A sudden wave of pain hit your chest like a brick. Wrapping both arms around your stomach, you held in a tight breath. Slowly, you turned yourself around allowing your back to lean against the tree. Your knees became wobbly from pain, your favourite hoodie scratching against the tree as you crumbled down to the damp grass.

Tail wrapping around your sore body, you exhaled a shaky breath. Your ribs throbbed, you bandages making your chest feel tight. You closed your eyes, waiting for a sense of relief.

"Stupid echidna," you growled, placing your head against the tree with your teeth barred in a hiss. "I'll break three of his ribs and see how he likes it."

With every breath you took, you could practically see the big bruise that covered your entire upper body. It was a deep blue colour, almost black, clearly visible under your fur. Which was not nearly as bad as what was happening under the tender skin. The blow to the chest caused three of your ribs to basically shatter which led to minor internal bleeding. And boy, you could feel everything.

But the fact you failed your mission alongside getting hurt was not annoying you.

It was Eggman.

"I told you she is useless. You need to cut her off," Eggman's villainous voice burned through your skull. Your world was plagued in black, exhaustion and pain overtook you the second you returned to the base. The cool floor froze your already cold skin, your fur providing little comfort. You could feel the presence of Metal, Eggman and Scourge surrounding your unconscious form.

"No. I am not abandoning her. I already-" You couldn't process anymore, the last words spoken by Source blurred together as you fell into complete sleep.

Hours passed.

Morning turning to evening.

You remained asleep.

TICK TOCK TICK

Your ear twitched at the teeth grinding noise. Fluttering your eyes open, you were blinded by the bright lights of the infirmary. You hadn't been here since your last failed mission where you had lain with a bullet in your side. As your senses restored, you noticed a green hedgehog standing in the doorway to your room.

"Ya know... its creepy standing... in an open doorway... when someone is... sleeping," you strained out, lightly chuckling at your comment. Scourged shook his head. You couldn't see his face but you could feel his emotions.

He was worried that about you.

Afraid that you almost died.

And...

"Kid..." is all he managed to utter. His ears fell flat on his head. He chewed on his toothpick with stress, snapping it in half with one good chomp. Spitting out the other end, he pushed himself off the doorway. He remained standing there, unmoving.

Wanting to come in.

But he didn't.

He never did when you were in here.