Chapter 20 - Books and Blankets

(B/C) - Book Choice

-----

Cuddled by a warm blanket, your tail rested on your knees as you sat on a chair in Tails's hanger. The hanger's door was closed, preventing cold air from entering and keeping the warm air in. Blowing over your (H/D), you took a comforting sip of the delicious treat. Your eyes closed in satisfaction as you felt the warm liquid added to your serenity.

Placing your cup down, you proceeded to pick up (B/C) from where it sat face down reserving your spot. You were lucky enough that Tails had this book on his shelf. It had been so long since you got to read in peace.

Not having to worry about anything.

Leaning back on the wooden chair, you crossed your legs. Eyes scanning the words on the page, you couldn't find yourself able to focus. Your mind was instead worrying about a certain fox. Lifting your head up, you gazed over at the troubled fox. Tails sat on the floor, fur full of salt from the ocean. he hadn't gone to shower after the event, instead he opted to begin recreating his plane. You imagined he would be a lot more... excited. But instead he appeared lost in thought, face wrinkling every now and again as he built his fourth plane mindlessly.

Your ears flattened. He shivered and shook from the cold, his jacket providing little warmth. You had asked him if he was planning to change clothes to get warmer but he often denied or said he would do it later. Something was plaguing his thoughts and it worried you. After all, you knew what it was like to constantly be trapped in your mind.

"Tails?" you softly called. His ears perked as they caught every word. His muscles relaxed as you spoke, which appeared to happen every time you spoke to him. He hummed, signalling he was listening. Glancing to the side, you began to think of reasons for the fox's troubles. As an idea ran across your mind, you glanced back at the fox who continued to work. "You-you didn't have to sacrifice your plane for me."

I know I don't deserve it.

You stared down at the floor, thinking about how many times you harmed him during your missions. Your harming him now by not telling him who you are. He has saved you countless times and you still refuse to tell him your the Ghost. And you hate yourself for that.

"Yes I did... It was the least I could do," he simply replied, never turning around to glance back at you. Twisting a bolt in place, his shoulders slumped as he stared blankly at the skeleton of his plane. His eyes danced left to right as he wondered his thoughts. Tails's ears fell flat as his nose scrunched. Specks of tears lines the edges of his eyes but he shook it off. Standing up, he strolled to the other side of his new plane and continued working.

Tearing your eyes away from him, you stared down at the pages of the book. But you didn't read a word. Your eyes fell in your clothing... well, his clothing. His scent surrounded you making you smile. Something about his clothing was just better than your own.

As Tails twisted the handle of his homes door, you couldn't explain your relief when the warmth hit your frozen features. During the entire walk back, returning to Tails's home seemed like nothing more than a dream.

But you made it.

You both made it.

"Thank goodness," you uttered with chattering teeth as you rushed into the house, "I was freezing my tail off." You rubbed your arms with your hands, sand sprinkling off you like a rain. Tails chuckles at you as he shut the door.

"I was about to go from having to tails to none," he joked, entering his kitchen and grabbing two mugs from a cupboard. Gently placing them on the benchtop with a clink, he faces you with smile. "Imma guess you want a (H/D)?"