Chapter 9 - Restless

Planning on releasing a Nine x Reader soon, just FYI.

------

The night consisted of constant tossing and turning. Your mind unable to rest. You flung off your sheets only to wrap them back around you a few seconds later. It was too cold then too hot. Your back would hurt then your side. You tail flicked in annoyance. Staring up at your digital clock, your sleep deprived eyes slowly read the red numbers.

3:04am

Grumbling, you sat up, rubbing your eyes. With a sigh you stood up and walked over to your bathroom. All you could see, every waking moment, was Tails's face. The way he stood, blank faced and disappointed. You couldn't put your finger on why but it bothered you.

Once at your basin, you washed your face with the cool water from your tap. It was refreshing. Calming almost. But the longer you relished in the feeling of the icy water soaking into your fur, the clearer his face became. Snapping your eyes open, his face disappeared, melting into your own reflection. Letting out a held breath, you gazed into your own eyes. They were red, bags sagging underneath them. Water dripped from your fur, soaking your pyjamas.

Yawning, you contemplated trying to sleep again, but ultimately decided against it. If you weren't able to sleep before, why bother. Remaining in your PJ's, you left your room. Silently moving through the halls, the garage came into view. A small smile formed on your muzzle as you entered the giant hanger. Flipping the light switch, you watched as one of your most prized position became visible. In the centre of the hanger sat your motorbike. It was not bulky like most motorbikes, it was slim and fast. Its design specifically made to be durable, fast and quite. It was perfect. Well, almost. It had been needing a few tweaks since you last rode it. And your no science geek, but you could change an exhaust pipe and fix a few dents. With a wrench in hand, you began your work.

After fixing up your bike, you looked over at the time. The clock that sat on the wall slowly ticked as the seconds dragged by reading 4:30. At the sight of the time, you let out a groan. Dropping your tools on the floor, you brushed your oiled hands on your Pj's. The black substance sunk into the fabric, staining it. Plopping onto the hard concrete floor, you crossed your legs and leaned on your hand. With a sigh, you began to wait for the time to pass by. When you looked back at the clock you realized barley a minute passed by, you decided that sitting and waiting was not the best idea. Glancing to the side, gazing up at your bike, you began to wonder.

No one will notice if you just pop out for a second.

Wind rushed through your fur as your motorbike softly growled in joy. The forest blurred as you drove past with speed. The stars and moon lighting your way through the dense flora. A smile spread across your muzzle as you felt your thoughts fly away. Your tail flew in the wind, your ears folded but enjoying the sound of the wind. Excitement pumped through your bones.

Skidding to a halt, you place your foot on the grass with your bare feet to hold the bike up. Swinging your leg over the bike, you flicked it stand up and let the bike stand by itself. Wandering forward, you find yourself pushing past leaves and arriving at a small lake. You smiled, the familiarity of the reflective waters calming you. Sitting on the soft grassy floor, you let your feet sink in the cool water.

The water rippled around your legs as they slowly swayed back and forth. Faint stars shimmered against the waters surface, perfectly reflecting the sky above. Looking around to see if anyone was around, not like anyone would be as no one knew of this place, a smile spread on your face as you gazed down at the water. Heaving yourself back on land, you took a running start before jumping high into the air cannonballing into the lake. With a joyous grin, you felt the fresh water soak your fur and Pyjamas. Swimming to the surface, you took a deep breath, your fur falling slightly in front of your eyes. Taking in a gulp of air you dived under the surface again, opening your eyes to watch small fish swim around you. Tail wagging in delight, you continued through out the early morning to swim around, watching the small fish dance with each other and the sun slowly rise.

Tilting your head to the side, you shook your head violently trying to get the water out of your fluffy ears. The metal surface of the floor in the HQ was cold on your bare feet. You went to go meet Scourge in the meeting room, seeing if there were any new missions. But you did first decide to put on less wet clothes, but you didn't bother to shower or dry your fur, you were honestly too lazy for that.

About to open the doors that lead to the debriefing room, you heard muffled voices. It sounded like Scourge and someone else. You didn't think anything weird of it until you heard a familiar whir of a robot. Placing your ear against the door, you caught Scourge finishing an incomplete sentence.

"-trest," scourge finished his unknown sentence.

"So do we have a deal?" The known voice of Eggman grinned. Metal walking around the base impatiently.

"I believe we do," Scourge replied not to long after.

Barging through the door, you saw Scourge and Eggman's hands shaking in agreement. The three of them simultaneously turned their gazes towards you. Your wet tail lashed in anger, your ears flat to further portray your annoyance.

Scourge made a deal WITH EGGMAN!

Your (E/C) danced between the three. Anger, hurt and betrayal shimmering in your eyes. Metal crossed his arms, even without lips you knew he had a smug smile plastered on his muzzle. His electronic eyes half lidded, judging every movement. Eggman held a similar look, but his smile shown through his mustache as his posture expressed his lack of care as you stared at him and metal with hatred.

"What... THE HELL IS HAPPENING?!" You spat, soaked fur on edge.

You wanted answers, and you wanted it NOW!