Chapter 2 - The Vipers

Warning: Mentions of Blood and Injury

_____

Leaning over the basin, you coughed. Small droplets of blood splattered in the white sink. Whipping your face clean with your hoodie's sleeve, you gazed at yourself in the mirror. Your fur was a mess from the fight, and you didn't smell pleasant either, but that didn't bother you. The pain in your upper chest was the real issue. And it didn't help that your hoodie kept brushing up against the massive bruise that was forming. Gently, you pressed your hand against where the bruise was, hissing in pain.

"That stupid fox," You groaned. You knew that you couldn't tell Scourge about this, he would ban you from doing anything until you got better, and you wanted to wipe that grin off Tails's smug little face. Moving your hand away from your chest, you pushed yourself off the basin. Using your hand to quickly flatten your fur, you pulled your hoodie over your head in order to keep the bruise hidden.

"(Y/N), come to the training arena please," the speakers in the hallway boomed with Scourge's voice. You sighed, shoving your hands in your jean pocket.

"I can't get five minutes rest," you whispered to yourself. Spinning yourself in the right direction, you began to wander through the small hidden headquarters towards the training arena. As you made it to the training arena, which was nothing more than a huge ditch in the desert ground, you leaned against a rock listening as Scourge scolded the new rookies you just saved.

"You buffoons are complete idiots. I gave you the easiest task! Steal an artifact from the museum, which by the way, only has one security system which you managed to trigger in two minutes!" He yelled, pacing up and down.

"If I wasn't being dragged down by these guys, I would have so succeeded," complained a red cat, pointing to the rest of his team. You rolled your eyes.

"Guys," you sighed before jumping down into the ditch, landing in front of them, "That's not what being part of a team is about."

"Easy for you to say (Y/A). You get to fly solo," an orange squirrel complained.

"Yeah, and before I got to fly solo, I was in a team," you walked in front of them, standing next to Scourge, "The entire point of being in a team is so that you can teach each other your strengths so everyone has the same advantage. Also, so that when you're in trouble you're not afraid to ask for help." You tapped your foot while lifting your eyebrow at the entire group as they lowered their heads.

"Which is clearly a difficult task for you guys," you firmly spoke. You glanced up at Scourge who nodded in approval. He stepped forward, biting on his toothpick.

"To be apart of The Vipers you need to learn to work as a team. If you don't its back on the streets! Now scram! Get out of my sight," he looked away as he spoke the last part. The entire group stiffened before running away, not wanting to anger the green hedgehog more. You walked up to Scourge, putting a hand on his shoulder.

"They'll learn. Like I did. You one hell of a teacher," you encouraged with a grin. Scourge chuckled, looking down at you with a fatherly grin.

"I better be one hell of an uncle too," he pulled on your hoodie, covering your eyes, "I did take care of ya." You giggled, pulling away from his grip. You put your hands on your hoodie, pulling it out of your eyes.

"Yes, you are one hell of an uncle," you giggled, lightly punching the hedgehog's arm. He rolled his eyes and laughed along with you. You both began to walk back into the hidden headquarters. As you both sauntered through the halls, a brown rabbit ran into you. You winced, pain jolting through your body as they hit the bruise. Having kept your footing, you pushed the rabbit up on his own feet.

"Lucas? What is it?" Scourge asked crossing his arms.

"S-sorry (Y/N). Oh um, its Eggman, he is planning to steal some sort of device from a laboratory in the Great Desert." He huffed out in one big blurt. Scourge placed a hand on his chin as he thought.

"Well, if Eggman is going after it, it's probably worth a lot," He turned to you with a grin as big as a hyena's, "what do you say (Y/N)?" You looked up at him. You knew you were the only that Scourge could trust with this, especially since Eggman would be there and most likely Sonic's team.

You sighed, "Fine, why not?" Scourge happily laughed, placing a hand on your shoulder. You bit your lip as you resisted the instinct to flinch away, your wound throbbing.

"I knew I could count on your (Y/N). No go rest up, you'll leave first thing tomorrow morning," Scourge gently ordered. You lightly nodded, trying to not cause more pain. Scourge grinned, beaming with pride. He took his hand off your shoulder, gave a nod, and walked off with the rabbit in tow. Once he turned the corner you let out a pained breath. Putting a hand on your shoulder, you rolled it tyring to loosen the bruised muscle.

Taking in a shaky breath, you took off your hoodie, your ears springing up. You looked down at your shoulder and saw that the bruise was a lot bigger than what you anticipated. From what started to just a small purple bruise on your upper chest was now a deep blue hue that spread from your upper chest to your shoulder and down your bicep. You growled, your ears flattening.

"That damn fox," you hissed. Pulling the hoodie stiffly over your head again, you shuffled back to your room. Your tail lightly swayed behind you as you groaned, thinking about the sleepless night you were about to endure. The fire in your arm burning more as you continued to think about it.