Chapter 4 - An Act of a Hero

Warning: Mentions of Blood and Injury

____

Your fingers burned as your fingers hit the keys on the control panel, your eyes dancing across the screen as letters and numbers combined into code. Your focus was at the screen in front of you, your fingers skillfully hacking into the system. You weren't an expert by any means, but you had enough knowledge to hack into simple networks like this one.

The screen flashed, the red warning text and green coding had disappeared, the screen leading to a desktop. Sighing your relief, you opened up the computer's files, quickly looking through each and every file for anything interesting; downloading the files to the USB as you go. Nothing caught your attention. That was until you clicked on the last file. 'Project MIND'. Within the file there were two documents, one claiming to hold information and research on 'project MIND', while the other was untitled. Curiosity consumed you as you clicked on the unnamed document. A bright white light blinded you, forcing you to flutter your eyes as they adjusted to the sudden light. As your eyes adjusted, your eyes widened. Lines upon lines of code scrolled along the screen, you couldn't make out anything from the scrambled numbers and letters.

"What is this," you silently asked yourself. Downloading the full file, you tried to make sense of the rambles of code. But you couldn't. Not really that you were surprised, coding was not a huge strong point. In all honesty, just learning to interpret and apply simplistic code was enough to make you want to cry. With a beep from the USB, you pulled it out of the computer. As you were about to place it in your hidden equipment belt, you were thrown violently off your feet. Through your fingers, you felt the small object get pried from your fingers as you were tossed.

Landing awkwardly on your shoulder, making you yelp, you pushed yourself to your knees. Your head darted up to whoever pushed you, your eyes sharp. There, holding your USB with their sharp claws, was Metal Sonic. Apparently, he had been awaiting your arrival in this room, knowing that you would get everything he had to receive for Eggman. Standing on your feet, you growled. Metal gave a whirr back at you, lifting his claw that didn't hold the USB and brought it down onto the panel, ensuring you couldn't download the files on another device.

Suddenly, a loud alarm blared. Red lights flashed on as a robotic female voice spoke over the microphones, "Main system offline. Self-destruct sequence active. 20 second countdown initiated." Glaring at the blue robot, he dashed passed you. As he flew passed, you grabbed onto his leg with your good arm causing him to faceplant into the floor. Stepping onto his back, your other arm grabbed the USB from his claws. Quickly, you ran from him. You made your way to the entrance from where you came, the two big circular doors open. Placing the USB in your tools belt, you grabbed your grappling hook and shot it up so its clamping hooks could grab onto one of the metal doors.

As the metallic claws dug into the huge frame of the door, its powerful rope began to pull you up. Once you were about halfway, you heard a loud crash below you. Looking down you felt mild panic race through your heart as Metal Sonic glared up at you from below. His engines roared as he flew up, claws extended. Without any chance to do anything, he snatched your tail, pulling you up with him out of the building making your grappling hooks wire snap. Spinning you around by your tail, he tossed you to the sandy floor. You landed with a thud, your vision spotting black from the force of the land. Metal landed in front of you. He reached his claw out and pulled out the USB from your belt. Without a single buzz, he turned his attention to the fight that was happening outside.

You don't know when or how, but Sonic, Tails, Amy and Knuckles found their way outside, still fighting against Eggman. Pushing yourself to your knees, you held onto your shoulder in pain. Just as you stood up the lab behind you exploded, the force sending your forward making you faceplant into the sand again. You winced in pain as you got to your feet, your tail dragging on the sand as you began to walk towards the fight. Shaking your head, you grip on the broken grappling hook tightened, your sore muscles tensing.