Chapter 19 - Freefalling

"That's means, HOLD ON!"

Hugging the pole as close to your as possible, your ears flattened at your felt the wind of the jet as it whizzed passed. The plane spun on its side, dodging the mini jet at it attempted to strike from behind. Your feet slid against the metal surface causing your fur to stand on end. Feet scrambling in panic to stay afoot, you desperately held to the pole.

Heart racing, your gravity spun as the plane dived down. The engine roared in your ears, eyes filling with tears at the sharp breeze scratched your eyes. Jet spinning and flying at you like an arrow, tails pulled on his controls, suddenly lifting the plane up to avoid the jet. Knees bending under the pressure, your stomach dropped to your feet. Your face was green, everything feeling queasy and upside-down.

Groaning at the gross feeling, your hands slowly lost their grip on your only support.

That was a major regret.

The plane was thrusted into a sharp angle, flying straight up while spinning. Feet flying from under you, your hands grappled onto the pole. Closing your eyes, you let out a scream as the world spun. You could hear the jet zoom around, missing the plane by milometers.

With a backwards loop, your gravity finally returned. Landing harshly on your chest, you let out a pained huff. Squinting open your eyes, you watched the jet circle you and Tails.

"I can't lose it," Tails cried out, head following the jet in its ominous circle. It was like a vulture, waiting. Waiting for its chance to pierce its beak and claws into the flesh of its food. Facing Tails, you both stared at each other. For the first time his eyes were uncertain.

He was scared.

Worried.

CRASH!

The world froze.

Shards of metal flying passed your eyes, widening in realization. Gritting your teeth, you felt the metal wing from below you break apart. The metal pole you held so desperately onto flung from your grasp. As the metal of the wing fell under you, gravity began pulling you down too. Clawing at the air, you tried to grab onto the bottom of the plane but failed.

Your fur and tail rushed upwards, the opposite direction of how your fell. Your (E/C) eyes stared up at the plane that continued to fly wonkily on. You were screaming but heard nothing. The wind cogged your ears. Heart second away from imploding, you watch the plane move further and further away from you.

Curling up in a ball, you held yourself close. You couldn't think. No thoughts came. It was blank. Everything felt blank as you felt.

It was numbing.

"(Y/N)!"

Lifting your head up, your heart re-sparked. Tails was mere meters away from you, hands extended. His eyes shone with a resolution to save you. Stretching up to the fox, he pulled you closer to him. His arms wrapped around your cold body.

They wanted to protect you.

Your head rested on his shoulder, watching his beloved plane get destroyed by the jet. The explosion was bright and orange, blinding you. The loud boom and the rushing wind of the explosion hitting the both of you seconds after the collisions. Once the strong breeze dissipated, Tails opened his twin tails in opposite directions and began spinning them rapidly. Blurring together, they slowly stopped the falling of you and Tails, leaving you both in a comforting hover.

Glancing down you could see the greedy ocean waves crash into each other, angry at the loss of its meal. Ears perking up, you could hear the waves grumble.

"Told you I would catch you," Tails lightheartedly chuckled, exhausted. You could feel his chest rumble with his laughs. It made you smile with a blush, knowing that he did catch you as he promised. As he began to carry you both to safety you noticed a piece of debris falling towards you both, aiming directly for Tails.