Chapter 33 - MIND

I don't do science, so don't judge me if the facts are wrong :)

-----

Riding through the forest on your motorbike, you felt your heart race at the speed of your engine, emotions flowing through you. Revving the engine you drove faster, the wind flowing past you and Tails. Your eyes clouded with tears, the fate of Scourge known to you.

He was gone now too.

Like her.

Shaking your head, you shook the tears from your eyes. Silently growling, you grip tightened around the handles, you knuckles turning white at the pressure. Tails remained silent as you ran through your emotions, which you appreciated. You needed to run through everything while you still had the time. Until the true battle began.

Twisting in-between the trees of the winding forest, you followed the rough road that faintly existed, its faded path leading to the town. As you came to a semi-straight section of the road, you let yourself quickly close your eyes for an extended period of time. Mind rushing, everything was too heavy for you to hold.

You were on the wrong side the whole time.

But Scourge was also not the villain of your story.

No.

It was Eggman.

He had manipulated you, him, and everyone, everything being nothing but a cruel game for him to enjoy.

And now that you were on the right side, and with Tails by your side, you knew you would win against whatever plan Eggman had.

Opening your eyes, you felt the weight lift from you, your mind freeing itself from its overthinking.

Driving along the dirt road, you stopped atop a hill that over looked the town, Tails's lab a little bit away from the town. Looking over the town, your eyes widened at the sight that met you. Fire burned through the town, explosions reeking havoc down upon the town as the Mobians strolled through the streets like mindless zombies. They paid no attention to their dying town, faces blank as they sauntered in the same direction.

Following the chain of Mobians that lead to their location, you watched as Sonic, Amy and Knuckles all attempted at warding off the hoards of Mobians. Their attacks were drawn back, not wanting to hurt the Mobians as they surrounded them. Tails's body stiffened behind you at the sight, his ears falling as his friends struggled.

Warming your engine up with a roar, you sped your way down the open road, your motorbike giving its all to reach the defenceless crew.

The first to go down was Knuckles. He constantly tried to hit the Mobians, but he was unable to bring himself to hurt them, thud leaving him defenseless. His back was turned as a few Mobians surrounded him, and they placed a metal bug looking machine on the back of his head. And with little resistance, Knuckles began to surround Amy and Sonic.

Amy was next. Her hammer provided enough defence to gently keep distance between her and the Mobians but it wasn't enough. Keeping her movements gentle and careful, she was soon overwhelmed and also overtaken by a duplicate of the same robot. Then with little resistance, she turned against Sonic.

Sonic was backed against a wall, sweat beading down his face. The Mobians began to pin him down, their arms grabbing at the blue hedgehog. Sonic attempted to shake them off, but without his use of speed, he too was defenseless.

But it wasn't too late for him.

Skidding your bike to the side, you skidded against the ground, knocking the pack of Mobians off their feet. They all fell over, their bodes landing in different locations like bowling pins. Lucky for them, your speed was slow enough that they would have no more than a few bruises. Glancing over at the blue hedgehog, you were met with his confused and shocked expression.

"Sonic, get to my lab!" Tails yelled over the explosions raining down over the town, his fur messy. Sonic looks between the both of you before shaking his head to clear his mind. Nodding without question, he runs towards Tails's lab, a blue trail following him. Turning your motorbike in the direction of the lab, you and Tails drove to the lab.

Dropping your motorbike in the fox's hanger, you and Tails get into his house where Sonic ran from window to window, barricading them with different pieces of furniture and planks of wood. Snatching a hammer and a few nails from one of Tails's many tool boxes, you assisted Sonic by barricading the doors with the many planks of wood he found in Tails's hanger and bringing it inside the house.

While you and Sonic rushed around the house securing it, Tails pulled the USB out of his jackets pocket and rushed towards the computer that sat on the kitchen bench. Plugging it in, he switched on the device and began typing away. His eyes scanned the screen before him, multiple files flashing across his custom made laptop.

Once finish securing the house, you and Sonic stood behind Tails as he looked through all the files.

"Whats happening?" Sonic asked, his body vibrating as energy courses through him, aware of the threat that lay outside. "One munity everyting normal, then Eggman appeared and boom, everyone was trying to get us."

"It appears to be a mind controlling device of sorts. It was called project MIND, Modification via Implanted Neurological Devices, it consisted of experiments on all sorts of creatures to discover the power of mind control. The robotic creatures were created to implement electro-shock therapy that is achieved through neurological microchips that forces the brain, through electric shock, to produce a chemical that has its victims lose control of their Cerebrum. And the wielder of the microchips can achieve the victims to proceed in completing any set task by changing the electro magnetic waves to different frequencies, somewhat like mores code," Tails swiftly explained, his words coming off smoothly from his lips as he threw unknown words at your face. He didn't even take a breath through that entire explanation.

You blinked blankly at the fox shaking your head. You knew he was a genius but he always talked so casual, so now that he was just blurting such big words with detailed explanations was just... shocking.

Don't get yourself wrong, you thought it was adorable the way he rambled through his discoveries but damn.

A loud snap of the wooden barricades rung through the house, catching the attention of the blue hedgehog. Zipping through the house, repairing the broken wood and pushing the Mobians back outside, he was able to return to your side in a flash.

"What does that mean?" Sonic yells, his voice exasperated, his feet unable to stay still.

"It means that those things on the their heads are making them go crazy and do the bidding of Eggman," Tails dumbed down, allowing you to register along with Sonic what was happening.

That must be what those records from the lab were about, as well as those blue prints. He needed my help to distract the team to collect everything he needed for his biggest plan yet. To use Sonic's kindness and care towards other Mobians against him.

"Oh great," Sonic rolled his eyes, arms crossing over his chest as his feet impatiently stomped against the ground.

"How do we stop him?" you leaned over Tails's shoulder, attempting to read over the detailed notes from another Mobians research.

"Well, if they use electro magnetic pulses, we just need to find a frequency that can negate their pulses by cancelling it out. In other words, we need electricity, and lots of it." You and Sonic nod blindly, both unable to understand what the fox just said. Tails sighed, his head shaking, "We need electricity, and lots of it."

This time nodding in understanding, you thought of a way to get enough electricity to save an entire town's worth of people.

"Okay, how are we gonna get that much electricity?" Sonic asked, tapping his chin with a finger. Your ears perked up, your eyes glancing at Sonic before meeting with Tails's eyes. A smirk fell upon Tails face as well as yours as you shared an idea. "Why are you looking at each other like that?"