Chapter 5 - Town

Warning: Mention of Injury and Blood

__________

Your arm swung limply at your side, the bruise throbbing in waves of pain. You hand rubbed against your neck trying to wipe clear of any blood residue. Nitpicking at any tears that laced your suit, you tried your best to appear clean and unhurt as you approached the control room in the Vipers base. Strolling passed the metallic doors, your stronger arm pulled out the USB from your hidden belt, spun the small device through your fingers before placing down on the table in front of Scourge. His eyes landed on the device placed on the table, a smirk on his face. You smiled back as he turned his gaze towards you.

"You're uninjured?" he flatly asked, his voice hiding his concern.

"Yup," you painfully smiled as you lifted both arms and waved at him with them, "They couldn't even see me coming." You lied through your teeth. Your insecurities forcing you to hide your pain, not wanting to be any more of a burden.

He grinned and nodded with approval, "Good. Now go rest up. I have business tomorrow so you will have the day off." He turned his back to you as he finished. He folded his green quilled arms behind his back as he looked up at the screens that filled an entire wall.

Spinning on your heel, you sauntered out of the room trying to keep up your appearance all the way to your room. The second you entered your room, the door locking behind you, you let your face scrunch up in pain. Taking off your suit, you changed into a loose tank top and shorts. Leaning against the cool basin, you observed yourself as you have done so before. The bruise on your shoulder was lighter in colour, but still covered majority of your arm. Your neck was bruised, claw marks scarring your skin. Multiple scrapes and scratches covered your body.

Bitting the bottom of your lip, you opened up the cabinets below the sink. Carefully, you pulled out your med-kit. You sat down on the icy tiled floor, opening the small red and white box with a click. With a tired sigh, you took out the remainder of bandages and antiseptic. Using the few cotton balls that you had lying around in your cabinet, you dampened them with the antiseptic and rubbed the cleanser onto all of your exposed injuries. Every small dab against the open flesh made you wince. After cleaning all your injuries, you wrapped them up with the white bandage. Leaving the empty med-kit on the floor, you glanced at your appearance. You couldn't help but chuckle. You looked exactly like those mummies as seen on T.V.

Stepping over the box, you walked into your carpeted room, you body falling onto the bed. You hissed into your pillow, instantly regretting doing that. Rolling over, you stared at your blank ceiling.

"I'm gonna have to go into town to refill that med-kit now," you grumbled to yourself. As you lay there, listening to the infamous ticking of your clock, you began to think about the day. And the more your reflected, the more you found yourself thinking about Tails. How he saved you. Stood in front of you and protecting you. Saving your life. And the way he looked at you as you hid. You swore he knew you were there. But then, why didn't he do anything about it? You mentally shook your head.

"I must have lost a lot of blood. Its making me delusional," you huffed. Closing your eyes, you forced you mind to shut down as you fell asleep for the night.

The next morning, before the sun had awoken, you tossed on your favourite hoodie and pair of ripped jeans. You pulled on your hoodie's sleeve, ensuring it was covering your scratched arms. Lucky for you, it was becoming winter, the air cooler and crisp, and wearing a hoodie in this weather would not bring suspicion.

"Okay, lets make this quick."

Without disturbing anyone's slumber within the base, you successfully managed to get out of the garage with your motorbike. The wind rushed through your fur, your tail flying behind you as you whizzed by. Your plan was simple, get in and get out.

Avoid everyone.

At

All

Costs!

It was simple. And yet foolproof. Stopping before you entered the town, you parked your motorbike just outside and proceeded to walk into the small town. Showing your hands in your hoodie's pockets, you kept your head low and hoodie up. You kept your eyes down and to the floor, as you entered the small chemist. Your swerved through the isles, your hands quickly snatching at the items that you needed. Once you held everything, you went up to the counter, swiftly paying and leaving with all your items in a bag that is hung over your good shoulder.

As soon as you exit, you feel the earth shake. Pulling your hood down and looking up you saw one of Eggman's robots. It was huge, towering over buildings and was in the form of a Bull. Its eyes glaring red and horns sharp. Every stomp of its hoofed feet made the ground shake and shatter. the machine shoved its horns into nearby buildings, dragging them through the cement causing them to crumble.

A sudden rush of wind caught your attention. A blue blur, along with a two tailed fox, rushed around, pulling citizens out of the way of the beast and its mess. Occasionally, Sonic would spin dash into the robot, barely causing any dent.

"Give it up Sonic! Give me that USB!" Cried Eggman, hysterically laughing at the end.

"Oh come on Egghead, this always ends in your butt getting kicked. And besides we don't have any USB. The Ghost took it," he remarked, crossing his arms. Eggman seemed shocked as Sonic finished speaking, stumbling over his words.

"Yeah-Well," he grumbled, slamming his hands down on his control panel for his egg mobile, "Doesn't matter. I will still squash you. GET HIM!"

The Bull's eyes locked on Sonic, rushing after him causing a distraction while Tails was able to make his way under the belly of the beast and open up its control panel and make his way inside.

They got it covered

Rolling your eyes at the classic fight between Eggman and Sonic, you began to continue you walk towards your bike.

"Mommy!?"

You froze, your ears perking to the sound.

"MOMMY!"

A little girl's voice echoed in your ears. You turned around, searching for the owner of the voice. In seconds your eyes locked on a little girl, no younger than five running into the middle of the battlefield screaming "MOTHER!"

Her desperation. The fear in her voice. It sounded and felt so familiar. You knew her pain. Her fear. The little girl, with tears blinding her vision, aimlessly wandered the battle ground franticly searching. From above her, a giant metal hoofed foot was rushing down towards her moments away from squashing her.

Time froze. Everything moved slowly. You stared at the girl, her fearful eyes reflecting in your own. She reminded you of yourself when you were young. Wanting nothing more but your own mother.

And it was in that moment, you knew you couldn't stand by.