Chapter Forty Eight - The Mates and Tension

Tw: Sexual Content towards the middle of the chapter

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It wasn't until mid-april that the Lupins had decided to rejoin The Order as active members. Edith was itching to get back into the fight but didn't want to leave her three month old.

Her and Remus agreed that any mission they'd take, one of them always stayed home with Juliet. Her and Remus would never attend any missions together unless absolutely necessary. They wouldn't allow their child to grow up without both of her parents if, merlin forbid, something were to happen to them. Even though they hoped nothing would happen to either her nor Remus, there was always the possibility. They'd rather her grow up with one parent than none.

Lyall had finally got to meet Juliet in March just after she hit the two month mark. They had owled him of her birth, but they didn't want to drag him out while they were still in hiding. Once they had come out of hiding, they waited a few more weeks to know it would be safer.

Lyall loved his granddaughter from the minute she was placed in his arms. And Juliet loved him right back. Then again, Juliet loved everyone. At the news of her full name the man broke down into tears. Hope would have loved to meet this little one that was named after her.

They'd spoken to Lyall with how dangerous the war was getting. They asked that he'd stay in hiding. The only thing he requested in return was updates on Juliet and their lives.

~~

As the last moon had passed Goldeye finally joined once more in favor of Wormtail, who stayed at Lupin Cottage with his goddaughter. It was freeing to finally join her mate after almost 11 months of not being able to transform. Moony certainly loved it. They all played happily for the many hours below the full moon.

Edith and Remus attended their first meeting since before they'd gone into hiding that snowy December day. Many congratulated them on their return and the birth of their daughter. Anyone that got to meet her was amazed by her. They all even had a laugh over her outfit which was the sweater James had knitted with wolf ears and red wings.

Edith and Remus had been at odds the past few days. Blame it on the wolf, blame it on the phoenix. But The Marauders knew what it really was. They were stressed over protecting their daughter. And add on the fact that Edith and Remus hadn't had sex in months so there was sexual tension building up like sand in an hourglass.

"If he wanted me before, he surely wants us now. I think with the strengthening of the mate bond by having Juliet... it's made me stronger. And the fact that Juliet herself is a wolf-phoenix hybrid... she'll be a target." Edith had her elbows rested on the table as she spoke. Most of The Order had left, leaving only their closer friends in the dining room of Potter Manor. "I wish i knew what was making him stronger."

"We'd have no way of knowing unless we were Death Eaters ourselves." Arthur spoke, making both Regulus and Sirius tense up at the mention as they both had come so close to being just that.

"What if i... publicly challenge him?" Edith asked, all heads turning to her. "Or ask for a meeting. We're on the side of good after all. If he wants me so badly, certainly he'd agree to a meeting on the assumption that he could kidnap me."

Remus' eyes flashed gold. "No way in the seven hells. You are not doing that."

Edith turned her head to her husband with a bit of a challenging eye. "It's an option. I think i can protect myself enough, Remus."

"No. You are my wife, my mate, and the mother of my child. You are not going on a death mission. Think about Juliet." He snipped back, his voice getting angrier.