chapter sixty // battle

Hands were grabbing me from every which way but I was too out of it to even notice who the hands belonged to.

"Athena, are you alright?" A voice sounded out, it felt like it was coming from above a surface of water in which I was subdued in.

"The necklace." I managed to get out, "She took it, we have to get it back." I croaked.

Before I could sense their reactions or hear their replies, a loud gasp swept over the grounds and I worked to get my eyes adjusted to see the cause of it.

The loud booming noise after was enough to put my senses back into overdrive and find the source of the noise.

Over at the gate a crowd of people dressed in black was rushing in, at the head two adults, and directly behind them, with smug faces, was Eudora, Quinn, Bella and... FIONA?

Wow, okay I have to admit I did not see that one coming.

"Evening Celia, love what you've done with the place." The tall pale one spoke, her hair was jet black and hung to her hips, she looked around with a smug grin on her face.

"What is it you want Marie." Miss Browns calm voice echoed over the crowd.

"Just came to take over what is rightfully ours, I have all the power needed to take over your school now."

"And what gives you this absurd idea Marie?" Miss Brown spoke so calmly, as if she was discussing dinner plans.

"Our one and only Eudora has successfully taken the pendant." The other adult, older and even taller than Marie spoke out, shooting a warm glance at Eudora who meekly smiled.

"I'm afraid if you think you can take over my school, you are painfully mistaken Audra." She nodded towards the older of the pair.

"Audra Levaraux?" Aurora gasped, bringing me back to reality.

"If force is needed we shall enact it Celia, but I do hope it won't come to that." Marie smiled with a feigning air of warmness.

"If a fight is what you want, then I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed."

"Oh but I don't think I will Celia." Audra laughed, although it held no humor, "It is time girls."

In just a millisecond, a hundred things seemed to happen all at once; the girls of the dark arts school charged forward, a loud bang, fire everywhere, and I was pulled into the chaos.

All I was focused on was finding Eudora and taking back what is rightfully mine, I would not let her family spite mine one more time.

And as if the world heard my thoughts, I saw a whip of black hair disappear behind a ragged wall of the school, which was now broken down and looked more like a ruin.

Without another glance towards my friends I rushed off towards the glimpse of color.

I caught up with her on the abandoned side of the school, the sound of chaos more distant to my ears.

She turned and looked me up and down with pure shock in her features.

"Surprised to see me?" I spat.

"Athena... Listen." She started to rush out.

"No, I don't think I will." With a yell of pure fury I threw my hands up and watched as she flew into the brick wall and tumbled down into the soft grass, doll-like.

Walking slowly to her limp form, I pulled the necklace from her slack hand, "I'll be taking that. Thank you."

I felt no remorse as I left her crumpled body in the grass and continued my journey back into the chaos taking place.

But when I entered the court yard my blood stopped cold, it felt as if their was suddenly ice in my veins.

In the very center of our court yard, Sage was bound into the mid air, tears streaming down her pale, sickly face.

"Give me the pendent girl." Marie spoke aloud from just beneath her.

Everyone had stopped what they were doing to tune into the new drama happening before their eyes.

"What are you doing?" My voice shook as I stared at her in shock.

"Nothing. If you give me the pendant." Her voice seemed to be booming across the field.

Feeling a sudden rush of anger I clenched my fist, "It's not yours to keep." I said through gritted teeth.

"Oh you poor, poor naive child, you have no idea of the way the world works." Her mocking tone built up a wave of fury in my chest.

"Put her down." My panic started to rise.

"The. Pendant." She gritted out.

"I will not let you horrible people smite my family ever again."

"Fine. If that's how you want to play it." She shrugged.

In the blink of an eye, Sage was rising further into the air, her body making an almost 'U' shape. I could see her eyes practically rolling to the back of her head.

"STOP IT!" I screamed, but it was just loose words. I could tell by the malevolent flicker in Marie's eyes as she locked hers with mine, an evil smirk twisted at the corners of her lips.

Her body came crashing down to the ground with an unbelievable force.

"NO!" I shouted, falling to my knees as I looked at her crumpled body; lifeless.

"What did you do!" Fresh sobs were breaking from my mouth, "What did you fucking do!"

Never in my life have I felt a pain so strong as I looked at my Sage on the ground, pale and limp. My heart was racing and I could practically feel it beating out of my chest like it wanted to escape and crawl towards her. I could no longer feel my limbs. They were tingling and numb, and my face was stained with sticky wetness from the tears that couldn't stop coming.

But this was all physical, I'd take the raw feeling in my lungs over the mental pain any day of the week. My mind was racing with loose scenarios that I couldn't seem to stop; she's dead. She already looked halfway there in the air and with the force Marie used... She's dead. A sorrowful cry sounded from deep within me, reverberating through my whole body.

As I sat on the ground sobbing, she made movements towards me, and with all the rage, all the pain, all the agony, I let out a pure guttural scream.

It felt nice to let out all of my pent up aggression, I heard yells from all around me, and the sound of bursting glass, but I reveled in my pain for a moment longer before opening my eyes and facing the upcoming challenge.

But when I did open my eyes, I was met with a sight I didn't see coming at all.

My enemies weren't in front of me with a plan and blood lust in their eyes. No, quite the contrary.

Marie Martel and Audra Levaraux were unconscious on the ground and the schools windows were fully busted through, the glass littering the ground.

Those who weren't unconscious were staring at me with alarmed expressions. I met the eyes of several students who were looking at me with looks of either pure shock or admiration, there was no in between.

I felt warm liquid at the top of my lips and moved my fingers there to feel it out. When I pulled them away they were covered in deep red blood. The crimson liquid dripping down my fingers to the web of my pointer and index.

"Oh." Was the last thing I said before I faded into nothingness. But I was safe here, nothing could hurt me here, I couldn't think about Sages lifeless body here. In the nothingness, that's all I was. Nothing.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅
a/n
nearing the end guysss
only one more chapter

do you have any thoughts? or rants? lol
don't kill me😭

on a happier note... TYSM FOR 70K reads!