chapter fifty nine // fire

"What do you want?" I tried to feign calmness.

"I think you know what I want Athena." She took a step toward me, "Don't play dumb."

"No, I don't." I lied.

"Come on Athena, don't make this harder than it has to be." She said in a mocking, bored tone.

"I don't know what you're talking about Eudora." I took a step back, wanting as much space between her and the pendant as possible.

"Athena-" She started.

Then instantly she fell to her knees with an agonizing yell, covering her ears with both hands, and eyes closed shut.

She muttered incoherent words but I think I made out, "No" and "Don't make me."

Right when I was about to make a move to escape she came back, her weak eyes focused on me. She stood and I saw pure fright in her eyes, "Give me that pendant Athena."

"No." I said resolutely.

"Please don't make me do something I'll regret." She yelled.

"You're sick. You're whole entire blood line is fucking sick." I spat.

"Hard way it is then." She muttered.

Before I had a chance to mull over her words I was thrown against my wall. Pinned to the cold wood, I couldn't move a muscle.

"It didn't have to be this way." She ripped the pendant from my neck and backed away, hand still hovering in front of her, holding me hostage against the wall.

"Eudora no. Give that back." I tried to muster every bit of resistance I had into the words.

"I can't." She said, but her usual confident tone wavered as she stared at me.

She pulled out a bottle from her bag and started pouring it in front on the entry way of the door.

"Eudora." I said evenly, "What are you doing?" Though the question sounded more like a statement.

Not looking up she continued to empty the bottle around the door frame, and some in the hall in places I couldn't see. The smell of gasoline was strong in my nostrils as she dropped the last of it in the hall.

"Eudora don't." I said, starting to panic as the smell of gasoline filled my senses. I tried with every muscle in my body to move from this spot.

"I'm sorry. I have to do this." She finally looked up and what looked like tears were forming in her waterline but I couldn't be sure.

Closing her eyes and whispering an incantation she moved her hand over the wetness and the door way erupted into flames.

"FUCK!" I screamed, "EUDORA DON'T DO THIS."

"I'm sorry!" She yelled, "I'm so sorry!" She muttered the last part and ran away from the rapidly building fire.

As soon as she was out of sight I fell to the ground with a great force, knocking over some of the things that were placed on my counter.

The fire was almost completely obscuring the door way. I coughed as smoke started to build up and I could only pray that Sage had listened to my advice about getting the students outside because magical fire wasn't like regular fire; It would grow fast and rapidly, and it wasn't as easy to put out.

Frantic, I got up from the floor and started trying at the window frame but it wouldn't budge.

Moving quickly to the other one, I tried again, but nothing.

I all of a sudden got a wave of deja vu as I thought of all the dreams, all of the visions. The way they played out just like this. The fire obscuring the school with me stuck in and no way out. I didn't know what to do. I never made it out alive in my dreams and I felt my confidence and self will start to crumble.

"SHIT!" I yelled in frustration.

The fire was building steadily around me and if I didn't hurry, soon the smoke would obscure my vision completely.

Stumbling to the door I tried to scope out the fire, but it was no use, the heat was heavy on my skin and I backed away quickly as if the fire had made contact.

Through my rogue thinking I realized that this was my end. Just like my dreams. I was going to die here and Eudora would win.

Collapsing onto the ground and heaving in sooted air, I started to cough uncontrollably.

Tears ran down my face as I accepted my fate and fell to my knees. I lay on the ground with a tear stained face and lungs that were collapsing in on themselves, but on the ground I saw a photo by Sages bed, it was of us right when I asked her to be my girlfriend.

Crazily, I smiled. I had a new found hope seeing her face in that photo, alight with happiness and excitement for what's to come. It was then that I realized I wouldn't let myself die here, I wasn't going to give up. I wouldn't let myself die this easy. I was going to give them hell.

My friends and family were too important, and I wouldn't let Aliah down. Poor Aliah who had died at the hands of who she thought was her best friend. I can't even imagine the pain she must've felt being blindsided by the only other person she trusted in the world. At least the person who screwed me over was already an enemy of mine. The want to avenge her name gave me courage like never before.

Pushing myself back up to my feet, I mustered all the power I could in my weakened state, opening my eyes I pushed my hands forward, hoping the wind would be my friend today.

The fire parted, giving me a walk way. The flames split to the side as if an invisible barrier had pushed them apart to make way for me.

Coughing and still using the wind to my advantage, I walked through. The fire felt hot on my skin, almost too hot, but I pushed through. I could feel the exposed skin on my shoulders starting to boil and knew I would have a hell of a time trying to recover from these heat blisters but that image of Sage and the story of Aliah pulled me through the fire like my lifeline.

The hallway was filled with fire at the sides, I kept my arms raised as I walked through. I just needed to get outside.

As I passed Heras room, I tried the doorknob, hoping to open the door and see her missing but it burned my hand and I ripped it back.

"Fuck!" I shouted.

Deciding to keep pushing, I walked and walked until finally I reached the double doors to outside, but this time I knew it was no use trying to touch the doorknob.

Mustering every bit of what I had left in me I pushed the wind to the doors and they burst open.

Stumbling, I walked with what little energy was left out into the open. I could hear the mumbled voices of the students around me but couldn't see any of them. I felt like the smoke still obscured my vision.

Finally reaching the fresh air I gasped and heaved in the clean air like I was a fish breathing water again.

Coughing, I looked around and noticed all the shocked students staring at me when my vision finally cleared — and the worried faces of my friends.

She got them out. I smiled to myself before collapsing onto the concrete ground and going into an unconscious state where I finally felt I was able to rest, to have peace. To have time alone without the weight of the world on my shoulders.

⋅•⋅☾∘⋅•⋅
a/n
thoughts?

only two chapters left and TYSM FOR 62K READS!