epilogue 2.0

nick sat anxiously in the purple velvet chair that he'd been stuck to most of the morning. it made him feel safe and less anxious than he was feeling.

"nick, it's time." matt said excitedly from the door. nick swallowed the large lump that sat in his throat as he stood. he wobbled slightly as his legs turned to jello. if it weren't for matt quickly coming to his aid, he probably would've been on the ground.

"hey, it's gonna be ok. everything's gonna go exactly as it's supposed to, you have nothing to worry about." matt said comfortingly as nick wiped his sweaty hands on his suit jacket for the 50th time that hour.

"it's not that- it's just. how do i know i'm not making a mistake matt? how do i know that i won't regret this?" nick said looking into matt's eyes with complete honesty and raw emotion.

"nick." matt said placing his hands on nicks shoulders, "you have been living with max for how long now? 2, 3 years? and you still love each other as much as you did when you first met, wether that be when you were kids or 7 years ago. you guys haven't been apart since. you guys have a fucking kid! you didn't even think twice when you adopted mani, why are you second guessing marrying the person that you know you love with your whole heart and you've spent the past 3 years living with, not to mention you guys have been dating for 7 and a half years, engaged for 2 of those years, it's about time y'all got married."

nick felt a single tear fall from his eye at matt's words. he was right, he had nothing to worry about. he had no idea how he got so lucky to have such a supportive family who not only loved the guy he was dating but loved him for who he was.

"you're right matt, i have nothing to worry about. thanks for talking some sense into me." nick said giving matt a quick hug.

"cmon you two, it's starting." jimmy said sticking his head into the room. nick felt his stomach drop at those words, but not cause he was worried, but because he was so so excited.

all these people had come to see him and the love of his life get married. he never knew that all these people cared about them that much that they'd spend their saturday coming to watch them seal the deal.

he took a deep breath before stepping out of the makeup room and standing patiently behind the white curtain.

he had 1 bridesmaid and 2 groomsmen. kennedy, and matt and art, matt being nicks best man. for max, he had vincent, chris and audrey. chris was maxs best man. and of course, their little son mani was the ring bearer, he'd walk down with matt and chris. and matt and audrey's little girl, harlow, being the flower girl. she was only 1 and half so she'd be going down with kennedy and audrey.

they didn't care about the typical boys and girls being split between the "bride" and "groom". they didn't give a fuck about tradition, they're two men getting married for gods sake.

nick stood there with his eyes closed, taking in the environment around him. he could hear the chatter of his family and friends who were on the other side of thick white curtain. as their song of choice started to play, your song by elton john, he opened his eyes slowly as he saw his friends ahead of him talking excitedly. the song flooded his ears and the memories that they've shared over the last 7 and a half years coming flooding back. seeing each other again for the "first time". sharing their first kiss, moving in together, adopting a kid. every single time something significant has happened, your song has come up some way or another. wether it be from them dancing on the driveway as 9 year olds. or wether it be max playing it on the piano in front of crowd the night that max told nick about their forgotten past. or wether that it played on the radio as they were driving back from the adoption centre with mani in the back seat. or wether it be that it played as nick walked down the aisle at their wedding. whatever was happening in their lives, that song always brought comfort and joy to the couple.