43

the group made their way through the airport, not many words being shared between them, for reasons they didn't understand. but no one decided to bring it up, they just suffered through the awkward silence. they'd talk every now and then but it was only if they were checking in bags or communicating for someone to hand them a bag to get searched and so forth. there was also chris trying to break the awkward silence with a bad joke, but you already know that didn't work.

because max wasn't actually leaving the state, he couldn't go through check in and security with them. he had to walk on his own and meet them at the gate. this made max and nick feel so much worse about their separation. they didn't know how they'd be able to handle the long distance relationship, if they couldn't even handle separation in an airport.

max thought of every possibility there was under the sun, what could he do about nick and him? he could always move to boston, or maybe nick moves to LA, or maybe they try long distance? he even thought of breaking it off with nick, because he thought the pain would be too great if they had to attempt long distance.

he made it to their gate and sat down in one of the leather chairs. he texted nick saying he was at the gate.

max <3
i'm at the gate :)

nick :)
ok
we'll be there soon

max <3
i miss you so much already

nick :)
don't talk like that

max <3
why?

nick :)
cause you'll make me start sobbing in the middle of the airport

max <3
right- sorry

nick :)
but i'm gonna miss you too
so so much

max <3
we'll make it work right?

nick :)
it's not like we have much of a choice

max <3
i think we can make it work

nick :)
i think we can too <3

max sat around for a couple minutes before he heard his name be called. he turned around and saw the group walking towards him. he smiled instantly, standing up to go meet them.

he said hi to everyone as they walked past him to sit down at the chairs, but nick simply stood in front of him. he slowly grabbed a couple of nicks fingers and held them tightly.

he looked up at nick and smiled sadly at him, nick doing the same. still holding his hand, max guided nick to sit down with the rest of the group.

chris and vincent were sat on the floor playing some game on their phones. audrey and matt were sat next to each other, what a shock, and kennedy and art were sitting opposite them, talking quietly.

nick sat where max once was, max then stood between his legs. the two didn't look each other in the eyes, only looking at their hands as they slightly swung between them.

"we're gonna make it work right?" max asked.

"of course we will. i have a bunch of online friends which i don't see all the time and we're still super close, even after 2 years." nick states.