Chapter 48: Just being boys

"Wait, you guys get to eat cake all day?", Fundy yelled with stars in his eyes. "Can I join? Please please pleaseeeee?"
"Fundy, there's going to be more than just eating cake. We need to decide decorations, choose a day, and I've got to help find uncle Techno a suit. You and I need suits too. Grandma's going to be helping miss (Y/n) find a pretty dress, too."
"Well I still wanna join! I can help pick a dress with grandma!", Fundy insisted. Wilbur sighed, bouncing his toddler on his knee while they were sat at the dining table.
"I know you want to join, but today's a day for you and me to spend time with uncle Techno! It'll still be fun, right?" Fundy hummed in thought.
"I dunno. I think dresses are cooler than suits. Suits are uncomfy. Can I have a dress instead?"
"Of course you can, my little champion. We'll find you the coolest dress in the world!", Wilbur promised, standing up and holding Fundy close to his torso. The toddler cheered in delight, already imagining all the pretty colours and shiny rocks his dress could have.

(guys it's so cute imagining little flowerboy fundy in a poofy skirt lmk if that's what you wanna see!)

"What are you two so excited about?", Techno asked, entering the dining room.
"We're gonna get Fundy a super cool dress instead of a suit.", Wilbur explained, bouncing his son in his arms.
"Really? I'll let (Y/n) know, maybe she and Fundy could match." Fundy cheered again.
"Me and aunty (Y/n) are gonna look so cool!", Fundy declared.
"Cooler than me?", Techno jokingly asked. Without a moment of hesitation, Fundy responded with a proud "Yup!" Techno clutched at his chest theatrically.
"Ah, what a heavy blow to my self esteem. Ouch." Techno fell to the floor with a hand over his forehead. "I guess I'll never be as cool as Fundy. What is the point of continuing to exist?", he complained dramatically.
"No! You can still be cool uncle Techo! Don't die!", Fundy cried, jumping down from his father's arms and grabbing at his uncles sleeve. Techno moved his arm slightly away from his face, "Never lower your guard, little fox. . . Surprise attack!", before suddenly pouncing at Fundy. Fundy began screaming and laughing as his uncle tickled his sides, squirming in an attempt to escape.

"I'll save you Fundy!", Wilbur laughed, shoving his younger brother to the side. Fundy watched as the two princes began rough-housing, switching between theatrical fake attacks and genuine grappling. Wilbur pulled his brother into a headlock, watching as Techno pretended to fight back before slumping. "I win again, Techno. I don't care if you're the strong one. I'm older, that means I win.", Wilbur declared, releasing his brother who immediately turned and enacted revenge on Wilbur with another chokehold. "Actually, I win, nerd."
"Damn it, every time! That's cheating." Wilbur groaned, sitting with his arms crossed with Techno's arm still around his neck.
"My turn to be the hero!", Fundy yelled, smacking his uncle's arm.
"Ok, Fundy wins.", Techno sighed, and Wilbur hummed in agreement. The three sat there for a bit before slowly descending into giggles.

"This reminds me of when we were much younger. It was so fun being a kid, huh?"
"Yeah, it really was.", Techno sighed.
"When did we stop acting dumb like this? I remember playing with you one day and then we just. . . stopped.", Wilbur pondered. Techno had been tapping his index on his lap where his hand rested, but suddenly stopped. He knew why they stopped, and had felt guilty as a child for avoiding Wilbur around that time.
"Do you remember when all that stuff went down, when I was ten? I think it was that."
Wilbur was quiet, but Techno knew he'd heard him.
"You know that wasn't your fault, right?"

Techno sighed. "It's taken a while, but. . . I guess so. Everyone's put so much work into convincing me, I feel like I'd just be dumb to keep denying it at this point. I still feel awful, though. I don't know if that will ever go away."
Wilbur shuffled over slightly until his knee knocked against his brother's. "We'll be here to help you through that. No matter what, we'll always be brothers."
"Hm.", Techno hummed in acknowledgement.

Fundy had been sat quietly, simply letting his father and uncle talk. Once he was sure the conversation had ended, he crawled over and sat in his dad's lap, pressing his fuzzy ear to his chest.

Thump, thump, thump.

Fundy enjoyed the feel of his dad's pulse under his ear, the rise and fall of his chest, the warmth against his cheek pressed against it. The silent reminders that his dad was there.
"Do we need to go get the clothes today? Can we stay home and nap instead?", Fundy quietly asked, face still squished against his dad's chest.
"That sounds really tempting, but we do need to get those clothes.", Wilbur groaned, running his fingers through his son's curls.
"I mean, we could probably fit a nap in after we get them, right?"
"Yay! Family nap time!", Fundy cheered, hopping from his dad's lap and pulling on his arm. "Let's go quick so we can nap faster!"
"Yeah, old man. Get up and let's go.", Techno teased, suddenly already standing.

Wilbur huffed as he got up. "This is bullying. What happened to respect your elders?"
The three of them quickly left the castle, sneaking a pre-naptime nap in on the carriage ride to the tailors in town. The occasional bumps from larger stones seemed to lull the three of them to sleep rather than startle them awake, like being bounced in someone's hold as a baby. Upon reaching the tailor's, they were all in a post-nap daze. Measurements were taken quickly, and the trio managed to try on as few outfits as possible while still successfully obtaining two suits and two different outfits for Fundy (just in case he changed his mind on the skirt or he wanted to change at any point).

Finally, clothes ready and nothing left for their itinerary, it was finally nap time. They had barely gotten under the blankets of Techno's fur-covered bed before they all passed out.

_______________________

Family nap time :)
I'm done with college now, so hopefully that makes more opportunities for writing. Thanks for 700 followers!