Chapter 12: Nerves

"I am not wearing this. I. Would rather. Die."
"Don't exaggerate, bud. It's just a suit!"
"Philza, look at me."
"... "
"I look fucking stupid and you know I do."
"Fine.", Philza yielded, sick of arguing with his son. "Find something to wear that looks presentable, please. If you come out in full armour or something I swear to god I will crown Tommy."
"I'd be absolutely fine with that.", Techno retorted, but promptly shut up when he received a death stare from his father. The door closed with a resounding thud as Phil left, leaving Techno alone in his room at last. Strewn across his covers were a large quantity of suits and such that techno had tried and declined. They were often too tight around his muscular arms, or the collar dug into his neck, or some other small detail that Techno didn't want to deal with for the entire night.

Eventually, he settled on something he was willing to wear and Phil had minimal to complain about. He wore a white shirt, soft as silk, that flowed like water under his fingertips; over that he wore an ink black vest with vines and leaves embroidered in gold, twisting and turning across the fabric, and small golden buttons shaped like daisies. He wore a pair of dark brown trousers which hung loose around his thighs but were held close to his calves by black knee high boots; the areas around the mouth of the boot, the sole and pointed heel decorated by golden patterns similar to the ones on his vest. Around his waist was a shining black belt with a golden buckle, simple yet effective. Hung over his shoulders was his blood red cape, all tattered ends and slight tears fixed recently. The white fur around his neck held the scent of freesia from it's recent wash, and the golden chains which held it in place shone white like hot iron when the sun reflected upon it.

It was just as Techno picked up his crown from the pillow at the head of his bed, that he had a sudden realisation: (Y/n) is going to be there. The only close friend he has, who doesn't know who he truly is, is going to be there. A wave of panic-induced nausea washed over him, and he struggled to keep standing. Grabbing onto the headboard of his bed, he tried to stop his incessant shaking, attempting to inhale and exhale slowly. Eventually his legs just couldn't hold him and his knees buckled, resulting in him landing on his knees, the impact sending a jolt reverberating up his back. He slowly lowered his head until it rested upon his mattress, his crown wobbling slightly atop the pillow. He slowly turned his head until he was looking to his right, and for a moment, be thought he saw her, looking down at him with a motherly smile. He could feel the gravel under his knees, the lace of her skirt on his cheek.

~{flashback to that morning}~

The clearing was warm and shining. Light reflected off the little beads of rain that were scattered over the leaves and grass, making them shine like diamonds. The crystalline water looked like a liquid gemstone as ripples disrupted the calm surface. Birds sung their sweet melodies and squirrels chattered freely like relatives at a wedding. The strong aroma of pine needles and damp grass wafted amongst the trees, which circled the clearing like pillars in a great Hall. (Y/n) sat contently on the particularly large rock by the bed, the wooden pole of her umbrella leaning on her shoulder. The rock was cold under her hand, but she paid it no mind. The day was fresh and lively, yet tranquil and soothing, so her only concern was not making the most of such a perfect morning. She failed to notice the sound of rustling leaves as her acquaintance entered their special place hidden from the world, finding the tapping of dew dripping upon her umbrella far more fascinating.

"You look comfy.", Techno commented, surprising (Y/n). Turning around, she let out a sigh of relief to see it was just him. "You startled me, Blade.", she said, turning back to look into the icy depths of the small pond. She gave no response when he sat to her left, leaning back on the rock, only looking down to her lap when Techno laid his head on her thigh, looking straight up into her eyes. "Don't you usually sit to my right?", she questioned, picking up the small change. He laughed lightly. "I would've, but your basket has stolen my seat.", he explained. Looking to her right, she found what he'd said was true: her usual wicker basket had been placed to her right, the top covered so you couldn't see inside. (Picture above is what I imagine the basket looks like) "So it has. Oh! Before I forget,", she began, picking up her basket. Lifting the lid, she pulled out Techno's cloak, recently washed and neatly folded.

"Woah, you didn't need to do that. I would've been fine with you keeping it for longer.", Techno said, ,turning to kneel without lifting his face from her lap, but (Y/n) continued to hold it out to him. In the end, he reluctantly accepted it. He laid it over himself like a blanket, subtly inhaling the fragrance of freesia. They sat in the tranquil clearing, listening to the pattering of the rain side by side. Techno turned his head to the left slightly, looking over the line of varying deciduous and coniferous trees, subconsciously categorising  them. Eventually, the drizzle ceased and (Y/n) closed her umbrella, placing it alongside her basket. They continued to sit quietly in the clearing. "You gonna be at the ball tonight?", Techno asked, feigning a lack of interest while internally hoping she would. "Yes. My father is often busy with word, so I should make an appearance so others know someone inhabits our house.", she joked. He laughed along with her.

________________

Techno smiled, looking back on the memory fondly. His face flushed red as he remembered how he felt when she told him she'd repaired his cloak by hand. The only comparison that came to mind was how a maiden would react if a man who held her heart gifted her a flower: flustered, but also something else. It felt like the word was on the tip of his tongue, as if the answer was right in front of him, but he couldn't give it a name. Once he noticed the headache he'd given himself attempting to figure out his little dilemma, he placed his hands either side of his head and pushed up, forcing himself to his feet. When he felt his head throb, he realized it wasn't a good idea. He swayed lightly and had to breathe deeply to soothe the pain in his head. Upon opening his eyes, he tried to convince himself that there was no problem. She already knows what I look like, so she'll recognize me. She'll only be finding out tonight, so there's no reason she'd suddenly treat me differently. She doesn't seem like the kind of person who would do that. It's fine.

Lol u sound pretty desperate for her to stay with u.
Of all the times to bother me, why now?
Because I'm bored now, Technoscared.
You can't even come up with a good nickname.
I'm tired, shut up.