Chapter 39: In your head

(Y/n) reminisced as she walked past trees she recognised and saw birds in nests she had watched them build. Her boots snapped twigs and rustled leaves with each step. She looked up at the canopy, sunlight shining past vibrant green like faux stars. She walked further, taking in the smell of earth damp with the morning's rain and listening to wind play chase around the understory. She giggled as she saw Technoblade marching in front of her, bowing to her and allowing her to pass whenever he pushed back the leafy impediment. Finally, the two of them reached the clearing and the brook, but Techno paused at the treeline. (Y/n) turned and saw him staring at the tree to his right.

"Come look at this.", Techno murmured with a smile on his face. (Y/n) was already approaching and looked at the scarred bark. Engraved on the tree trunk, with the penmanship of a chicken, was 'TOMMY WAS HERE!'. Below it, carved relatively neater was 'Tubbo two!'. Finally, there was a rolled-up piece of weathered paper slipped in a small hole in the timber. Tugging it out, Techno unfurled the note, which read in cursive:
'Ranboo as well.
I didn't want to "Stab the hecking tree".'
Techno laughed, knowing what word had been replaced and why.

"Guess this isn't just our special place anymore.", he sighed. Hopefully they wouldn't lose the peace and quiet.
"I don't mind sharing it. It means more people can enjoy the beauty." Techno nodded in agreement, and the two took a seat by the water. The day was bright and virtually cloudless; any rain that could've fell had already fallen. The couple sat side by side and let the sunrays envelope them in warmth. (Y/n) leaned back on the grass and stretched her arms out, letting herself relax in the tranquillity of the early afternoon.

Techno gazed over the water, eyes wandering over the rainbow hues along the bed. After several weeks in the medical wing of the castle, he was relieved to finally be back outside with fresh air and blue skies. 

It is a nice day, isn't it?
Yeah, it is... You've been quiet recently.
Well, it takes a lot of energy to get rid of a normal wither potion, and the one you took was way more potent. We've been satiated for a while, but that took too much out of us.
... What do you need?
Don't play dumb, you know exactly what we need.
But the fight-
That wasn't enough, and you know that.
What am I supposed to do? I can't go around causing harm because you need feeding.
I can name some people who no one would mind vanishing.
Like whom?
The Braithwaites, that big-mouth prick from the first ball, Charles-

Techno almost yelled aloud.
NO. Even if he fled a trial for treason, that's (Y/n)'s father. The only family left who shares her blood. How could I do that to her?
Yeah, you're right. The Braithwaites are still on the table though.
Oh definitely. But I wouldn't get away with it.
Talk to Phil, he'll understand. Hell, he'd probably help you cover it up too!
... I can't do that to him. Not again.
Well, something must be done. We won't sit and wait for long. Figure something out.

Techno closed his eyes and massaged them with his forefinger and thumb. He knew the voices were right, but the conversation had caused buried memories to resurface. He hated the memories, but he felt guilty for ignoring them. For silencing them. For pretending they didn't exist. He opened his eyes but immediately closed them again, bringing his knees into his chest and resting his forehead on them.
The water isn't red. The grass isn't dead. The trees aren't burning.
He repeated it like a prayer, a mantra, a wish. He didn't look up until he released the breath he hadn't realised was confined to his lungs. 

The water was blue. The grass was green. The trees were living and breathing. (Y/n)'s hand was on his shoulder.

(Y/n)'s hand was on his shoulder?

"Are you ok?", she asked, now sitting by Techno's side. He silently nodded his head and put a hand over hers, giving it a squeeze. Her thumb rubbed back and forth comfortingly. Looking over his shoulder at her, (Y/n) had a melancholy smile. Her eyes met his, and she answered the question Techno was yet to ask. "This reminds me of what my mother would do when my father was stressed. All she had to do was place a hand on his shoulder and he was instantly happy. I used to think it was magic.", she huffed out a laugh which held no mirth.

"What was she like?"
"She... she was incredible: she always put others first, she could make anyone smile, she even stopped someone from attacking her by having a simple conversation with him." A tear slipped down (Y/n)'s cheek. "Maybe if we had taken her to a doctor sooner, she would still be with us."
"How did she pass?"
"I don't know, I was around 5 when it happened. She was really sick, but I don't know what it was. She was almost always coughing, and she was losing her hair. At one point, she could barely stand. I never got to say a proper goodbye; she passed in her sleep one night. . . I think she would've liked you."

Techno couldn't remember not having Phil there as his father, Wilbur as his brother, and Kristen as his mother. He had no idea what it was like to lose family at such a young age. Kristen had always been there when he needed her, and he couldn't imagine losing her. He pondered the last thing (Y/n) said. It didn't sit right with him. "No, I don't think she'd like me."
"Why wouldn't she?"
"Do you really want to know?" (Y/n) didn't back down. He sighed. Time to scare her off. Better now than later.

"You know how I'm called the blood god?" She nodded. "Do you know why?" She thought for a moment but shook her head. 
"I have voices in my head, as you know. But they're more than just voices. They've influenced my actions before, even taken over my body. But it's usually minor: making me say something, getting me the upper hand when I'm losing in a fight, that kind of thing. But there has a been a constant ever since I first heard them in my head."
"What is it?"

"The voices... they crave blood."