Chapter 35: Possessiveness

Hi everyone :)

__________________________________________________________

Because of the duel, the third ball was postponed until both injured princes had recovered and Rajmund had been convicted. Wilbur had recovered relatively quickly, and the scarring was minimal. Fundy was definitely proud of his dad's scars, boasting that someday he would have similar scars from crazy battles (much to Will's dismay). 
However, Techno wouldn't be recovering as quickly. The wither potion had proven to be extremely potent, requiring more than just a bucket of milk to recover. The most that could be done was frequent disinfection of wounds and milk when pain flared in the injuries.

(Y/n) insisted on staying by his side throughout his time in the medical ward, refusing to believe she wasn't the reason he was injured by Rajmund's backhanded attacks. She was the one who would help Techno sit up and clean up his wounds, she would feed him when he didn't have the strength to raise his arms, she would even help him walk to the lavatory, not trusting some of the nurses in providing help with the way they acted around the older two princes. It was concern, not possesiveness.
Never possessiveness.
Of course not.

"Come on, Techno. Time to clean your bandages."
Techno groaned and lifted himself onto his elbows before letting (Y/n) help him sit up the rest of the way. He winced as the wounds continued to seep the black goo. As (Y/n) unwrapped the bandages and looked over the wounds, she was relieved to see normal red blood amongst the withering. She also noted the previously black visible arteries and veins were not as prominent as they were a few days into his recovery. She cleaned out the wounds as she usually did, providing soothing words and soft touches whenever he flinched or groaned.

Techno watched as (Y/n)'s eyebrows furrowed in thought, the bandages she was wrapping around his abdomen being tugged a little to tight, making him wince. Noticing this, (Y/n) immediately became worried.
"I'm sorry, are you ok?"
"I'm fine, but what about you? Your mind was somewhere else for a minute."

(Y/n) looked away, not wanting to answer. Techno placed his hand on hers in an attempt to sway her. She pulled her hand out from under his, and looked at him with a gaze full off... anger? Had he upset her? He went to spoke, but was cut off.

"Why did you protect Rajmund from the potion? No matter how I think about it, I can't for the life of me figure out why you saved him from it. He deserved to go through what you're going through right now. Why spare him that pain?"
Techno was surprised by her words, but he couldn't truthfully say that he didn't like (Y/n)'s aggression. It was nice to see more from her other than passive contempt; it made him feel like he knew her better. (Y/n) was frustrated with his silence.
"Tell me!"

"It would have killed him."

(Y/n) fell silent, as if not expecting the blunt response.

"What?"
Techno failed to hold eye contact, instead looking to the wall opposite him.
"We both had a similar amount of injuries, his probably worse than mine. Wither potions prevent wounds from healing using potions or anything else until the effect wears off. That means blood loss or infection is often fatal when wither gets involved. I'm not fully human, injuries for me aren't as bad as they are for a human. I can handle delayed recovery. He was already bleeding pretty badly. The wither effect would've killed him."

(Y/n) was silent for a moment.

"... But would that really have been the worst thing?"
Techno burst into laughter, a hand putting pressure on his abdomen to relieve some of the pain from laughing. His shoulders shook as he tried to catch his breath.
"Seriously! He did almost commit regicide. I wouldn't blame you for letting him take the blunt of the potion."
Techno began laughing again, only stopping when the pain in his abdomen became too much. With that, (Y/n) went to fetch him another glass of milk. She could continue listing reasons to have let Rajmund die later, maybe during the trial.

___________________________________

The youngest prince marched confidently through the foliage, his two friends following behind him. One shoved branches out of his face with confidence, rushing after his regal friend with excitement. The other looked around uncertainly before being whacked in the abdomen by a branch which had been shoved a few seconds prior. Seeing his friends get further from him, he nudged leaves out of his way and continued after them. 
"Are you sure it's this way? All the trees look the same."
"Don't doubt me, boob boy, I know where I'm going. I marked trees along the way."

Ranboo's mind immediately turned to animal logic, knowing his winged friend tended to act like a racoon. "EW! You marked them?"
Tommy looked back at him confused before pointing to a 'T' carved into the bark of a tree. "How the fuck do you think I marked them?"
Ranboo sighed in relief while their hoofed friend leant against a tree, chest heaving with laughter. "Ranboo thought you were pissing on trees, boss man."
"... Well yeah, I did that too, but that's just cuz I needed a piss."
"EW!", his friends yelled, both laughing loudly. Tommy's iconic cackling joined soon after.

The laughter died down, and the bench trio continued walking through the trees. They trekked through the forest until they reached a clearing unfamiliar to them but known by a certain duo.

The clearing wasn't very big, but the brook in the centre, with sun shining down like a spotlight upon its crystal waters, signified it was definitely the one they were looking for. There was no visible source of water for the lake, maybe from a cavern underground, or maybe this patch of woods had an abnormal amount of rain. They didn't care, truth be told. They were just here to mess about and have a bit of fun. Tubbo leapt into the water, it coming up to his waist at its deepest point. Tommy joined, immediately splashing water at his short friend, while Ranboo sat on a rock and took out his leather-bound journal. 

Enderman genes and water weren't exactly a match made in heavan.

In the shadows of leaves deeper in the forest, Ranboo saw some fireflies which must've awoken too early. They fluttered amongst the branches like lost stars. Their pale green bioluminescent light disappeared and reappeared from behind leaves, dancing amongst the trees. But while the majority played in the woods, two sat upon a tree. They were almost aligned with each other, and Ranboo felt as if they were watching him. Like a pair of shining verdant eyes. The longer he stared at them, the more his uneasy feeling grew. He felt his blood run cold when both fireflies suddenly disappeared, as if never on the tree in the first place. He suddenly snapped out of his focus when he felt some water splash his foot. He jumped off the rock with a scream.

"Sorry bossman, you ok?"

"Yeah... Yeah, I'm fine."

"...Dude, your foot is literally steaming right now."

"That it is. Huh."

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­_______________________________________________________________________

Hope you enjoyed this chapter! I have a long note with some stuff regarding this book and other stuff on my message board, so check that out if possible please. Thanks for reading, and I'll see you all in the next update!