Chapter 29: Friend

(Early update cuz I'm at my aunt's tmrw!)

(Y/n) felt like she had just had the best night of sleep in her entire life. She stretched her arms over her head, pausing as her hand became tangled in something soft. Blearily opening her eyes, she noticed she was laying on soft grass, rather than the round pebbles scattered by the waterside. Looking to her side where her hand was tangled, she stilled upon seeing her hand wrapped in pink.

Next to her, chest rhythmically rising and falling, laid Technoblade. One arm was strewn across his stomach, while the other was by his face, next to (Y/n)'s. She took a moment to simply marvel at Techno's beauty. 
His jawline was sharp, but with a smooth edge that fit perfectly in (Y/n)'s hands. Each scar was a brush of white paint on a work of art. They were less a disruption, and more of an addition to his clear skin. His eyebrows were a slightly darker shade than his hair, leaning towards a soft shade of magenta. His eyelashes were light, almost blonde. But last night, when the only place (Y/n) looked was into his eyes, she swore they were darker. She almost gasped when she realised he had been wearing mascara, but she simply added it to the list of things she was happy to know about her friend.

Friend...

There was feeling of discontent as (Y/n) repeated the word in her head. It was what they were, but the word felt like successfully completing a puzzle with a piece from a different one. Yes, it fits, but the bigger picture looks wrong. What was she feeling right now? Disappointment, perhaps, but why?

(Y/n) get a chance to delve deeper into that thought, because she suddenly felt a hand on her waist and a weight on her shoulder. 

Techno had turned over, wrapping an arm around (Y/n) and nuzzling his head into the crook of her neck. (Y/n) couldn't tell if the heat she felt was from his calm breaths or from the blush creeping up her neck and tinting the tips of her ears red. She had no way to explain why, but she felt so at home in Techno's hold. 

Her breath caught in her throat as (Y/n) felt Techno stir, his eyelashes fluttering against his cheek and tickling her skin. As Techno awoke and noticed the position he was in, he froze as well, his breathing pausing. 
"Good morning.", (Y/n) jokingly whispered, making Techno snort in surprise. (Y/n) couldn't hold in her own laughter and the two of them laid in the grass, giggling like children.

As the laughter died down, Techno suddenly remembered the question he had originally meant to ask. "Hey, (Y/n). Did something happen last night? You seemed so tired earlier."
Something about the silent worry in Techno's voice made it impossible to keep anything from him. Before she could catch herself, (Y/n) confessed, "My father was arrested on grounds of treason last night. I had to stay at Fred's brother's house last night. I didn't end up getting much sleep, a mix of stress and guilt."
Techno was shocked. It wasn't every day someone was accused of treason. It had been several years since the last time someone was arrested on such claims. He knows that well; him and Wilbur had been involved in the interrogation.

"Why guilt?"
"We barged into Ted's house around 4 in the morning, I felt terrible."
Techno felt an idea grow in his mind, pleading to be asked.
"How would you feel about staying in the castle. Give me a minute to explain, please.", Techno implored before (Y/n) could interrupt.
"Courtiers, members of the council, have the option to stay in the castle. When I become king, there'll most likely be changes of courtiers, and I want you to be one."
"Why me, though?", (Y/n) questioned. She missed the look of fondness in Techno's eyes as he responded, "Because there is nobody I trust more than you."

(Y/n) mulled it over in her head. No matter how she looked at it, the pros always outweighed the cons.
"I would be honoured to become a courtier, but I will only stay at the castle until the whole situation with my father blows over. Deal?"
"Deal. As long as you're still by my side, I'm happy.", Techno responded without hesitation. Upon realising what he had just said, (Y/n) watched as he quickly turned away, the tips of his pointed ears a bright red. She laughed, and suddenly Techno didn't mind making a fool of himself. He decided to ask her now, before he could chicken out later.

"Would you like to join me and my family for dinner one of these days, (Y/n)?"

_____________________________________

Not long ago, (Y/n) accepted Techno's invitation to dinner. The next day, her and Fred were welcomed into the castle and given a wonderful place to stay, of which the two of them greatly appreciated. Now, (Y/n) was stood in front of a wooden vanity, putting on a pair of earrings and adjusting her hair. Tommy had popped in not long ago and given her a good idea of how formally to be dressed, which she were extremely thankful for. Looking herself up and down in the mirror, she concluded she looked ok enough to go. 

(Y/n) had opted for flats rather than heels, deciding a meal didn't require uncomfortable heels. As she walked down the corridors to the dining room, she glanced at the pictures along the walls: a sun rising over the kingdom (or maybe it was setting), an old family portrait with baby Techno and his older brother, another with a baby Tommy, and a more up-to-date painting of the family. In that particular painting, it looked less formal. The king had his arms wrapped around the shoulders of Techno and Tommy, and the eldest prince had his arms around his mother's shoulders, his chin resting upon his mother's black hair while the two of them smiled brightly. (Y/n) felt a sting of envy, small but as much of a nuisance as a stubbed toe. 

But that envy was quickly overshadowed by happiness. Her friend was a part of a close, loving family, and she was happy for him. Realising she had been standing there for a while, (Y/n) quickly turned and continued to the dining room.

As she entered the dining room, multiple pairs of eyes landed on her. Glancing around, she recognised some faces, but not others. The chatter died down as Techno stood up from his seat next to the queen and approached her. He took her hand in his and turned to his family.

"Everyone, meet my friend (Y/n)."

_____________________________________________

29 chapters have happened so quickly, and I'm excited to keep writing this book (and a sequel/ story in the same universe!)

When I publish chapter 30, I'll be doing a QnA! I'll answer questions about me, any of my books, or whatever as long as they aren't too personal or inappropriate. 

You can leave questions here, on my message board, or privately message me!

I'm excited to hear your questions!Thanks for reading!