Chapter 43: I will be Waiting

Early chapter because Teddyybearo7 gave me a good dad joke! Enjoy!
___________________________________________________________

Wilbur had taken Fundy to sit with his grandmother and Tommy decided to join them, deciding Fundy and Kristen were the only ones worth his time for the moment. Phil's cloak drifted as he continued speaking to guests with Wilbur by his side. Candlelight kept the room glowing as if it had been summoned from the pages of a fairy tail. People continued to dance, dresses spinning around the floor and fluttering about, like a variety of wildflowers in a golden field.

It was then, when (Y/n) found herself alone in the ballroom again, that she found herself in someone else's company. However it wasn't a pleasant presence.
"Good evening, miss (L/n). How are you?" Looking to her right, Lord Braithwaite stood with a glass of champagne in his hand. There were plenty of eyes on him, especially after the recent arrest of his son. Yet he didn't seem affected by the stares. All of his attention was on her, and the eyes of two particular princes.

"I'm alright, Lord Braithwaite. How are you?"
"I suppose I could be better, but that's to be expected with the recent events and all. I'm sorry to hear of your father's actions. I suppose you need someone to succeed his estate?"
The words escaped before she could hold them back.
"If this is some futile attempt to strike a deal with me, then you're more desperate than I thought."
Lord Braithwaite was silent, and she continued.
"Your son is nothing but a boy who found himself unable to hide behind his father's leg anymore. He is a sad excuse of a noble. My father may have taken some questionable actions, but I will never stoop so low to accept anything from the likes of you."

The subtle clenching of his hand around the glass was a heralding of a future victory (Y/n) was certain would come. But she was mistaken. "I suppose your father kept it all a secret from you. I'm not surprised. Well,", Braithwaite sighed, brushing his hair off his creased forehead. "If you would like to know the truth of your father, you know where to find me. I'll be waiting." With a muttered 'good evening' he turned and left, setting his untouched on a table and exiting the ballroom entirely.

(Y/n) stood there in shock, staring at the closed ballroom doors. She began to think of what he had said, she tried to fathom what he meant, she continued to spiral deeper into her mind. The sound of internal questions and fragile feelings blocked out all other noise, including the sound of footsteps towards her. Her gaze fell to her shoes subconsciously, not noticing the pair of boots in her field of sight. But as it felt like the world was closing in around her and her lungs refused to take in more air, she felt a warmth blossom on her shoulder. The feeling of calloused skin was immediately recognisable to her, and she looked up. Her mind was quiet. Tranquil.

Where a horrible man who plagued her mind stood mere minutes prior, now stood a man she hopelessly adored. A man who never failed to be a beacon in the darkness, a breath of fresh air in a deep cavern, a spark of flame in the midst of a blizzard.

Technoblade kept his hand on (Y/n)'s shoulder as their eyes met. Brows furrowed with worry and confusion suddenly expressed relief, and a look of pessimism in her eyes was replaced with optimism, hope, happiness. "Are you alright? Did he bother you? Threaten you?", he asked, fear and concern clouding the feeling of joy he felt by simply being in her presence.
"I'm ok.", she sighed, "He tried to get into my head, that's all. I don't understand how I still believe some of the nonsense he spews. Anyways, how are you?"

He gave her a look, and she mirrored it. A silent agreement was made, and the two walked to the gardens side-by-side. Guards who would previously look to the duo warily now remained expressionless. After the first few times, it was clear where the two kept going. Techno held the door open for (Y/n) as she stepped out, and he followed behind her.

Rather that head straight for the fountain, the two decided to walk around the garden. Rocks crunched underfoot as they strolled down the paths together. Flowers were decorated with beads of crystalline dew. The smell of damp grass and lavender was strong in the air. The two continued their tranquil walk before stopping under a lamp post. The candle's light bathed the two of them in a warm glow. "Are you nervous for tonight?", (Y/n) asked. Techno looked to the cloudy sky. The moon was blanketed by a cloud, but still visible. "I'm very nervous. But as long as you're here, I'm capable of anything." (Y/n) blushed, a smile creeping onto her face.

"There's no need to flatter me so much.", she complained, no real annoyance behind her words.
"It isn't my fault if you're flattered by the truth.", Technoblade retorted with a smile on his face. (Y/n) giggled.
"So you can't be upset with me if I say there's nothing more beautiful than the way the red and blue of your eyes swirl like red clouds in a summer sky?" She smiled, childishly proud of herself for giving Technoblade a taste of his own medicine. The two of them looked in opposite directions, both hiding their flaming red faces.

"(Y/n).", Techno began. The couple turned to look at each other, (Y/n) immediately getting lost in his eyes. "I think I'm going to do something crazy at the end of the night, and I want you to still be here when it happens. Can you promise me that?" (Y/n) was confused. What was he planning on doing? There were plenty of ways the night could end: he could refuse to marry entirely, he could declare he chooses no one and Philza will have to set something up, he could choose a woman, he could choose a man! Obviously some options were far less likely than others. "I promise I will be here at the end of the night, and I'll be waiting for your crazy something.", (Y/n) promised with a smile. Techno's shoulders fell, the tension quickly leaving them. He was relieved,

He wouldn't be able to do it if she wasn't here.