Chapter 37: Trial

(I know it's Wednesday but have an update!)

Phil couldn't say he was looking forward to today's trials. Yes, he would be putting the man who hurt two of his sons behind bars, but today was also the trial of (Y/n)'s father. The trial would've been done in the public court, but treason wasn't a felony treated lightly, even if false. Walking to the throne room, Phil saw Wilbur standing by the doors, Fundy in his arms.

"Hey Will, what're you doing here? I assumed you would be spending today with Fundy."

Unknowingly to the king, Wilbur had been standing there for almost an hour. Upon arriving, Fundy was bored and fidgeting in his grasp. Fundy was doing anything and everything: climbing his dad like a mountain, dangling from his feet in Wilbur's hold, even napping out of boredom. At one point, he had just been rambling about the adventures he had went on (in his imaginary world under the bed) until a woman approached the two of them. At her arrival, Fundy fell completely silent. Too silent. Wilbur knew virtually every face in the castle, from cleaners to stablehands. 

"Apologies Prince Wilbur, but the king has requested me to take care of the young prince while you are present for the trial.", she explained stoically, holding her arms out for the child. Wilbur made no move to hand Fundy over.
"May I first ask,", Wilbur began, "what is your name? I don't recognise you."
The lady was taken aback. "I'm a newly hired nanny, Peggie." (totally didn't come up with that name by looking at my washing line-)

"Well, Peggie, I regret to inform you I will not be leaving Fundy in your care. Thursdays are when I spend the entire they with him, even if it means sitting through a court session with him. You are excused."
"But-"
"I said you are excused, miss."
Peggie argued no further, bowing her head and rushing back down the hallway from where she came from. She turned back for a moment, and Wilbur was certain he saw her eyes lock on the child in his arms.

Fundy's face was half-buried in his father's shirt, but he was still staring down the corridor, wary of the woman's return. "What's wrong, champ?", Wilbur asked his son.
"I remember that lady.", Fundy whispered. "She took me to the scary house. She hurt my arm, I don't like her." Wilbur remembered arriving at the castle and finding a bruise on Fundy's left arm when looking her over for injuries. The only thing that kept him from punching a hole in the wall that day was the need to take care of Fundy and keep him safe.

When Wilbur saw his father's confused face, he knew it was a good idea to bring Fundy with him to the trial.
"Dad, can I request a list of recently employed staff in the castle? It's linked to one of today's trials." Needless to say, Phil was confused. But he allowed it, and someone was sent for the documents.
This went deeper than just the duel.

_________________________________________

"Rise for the entrance of Their Royal Highnesses King Philza, Prince Wilbur, Crown Prince Technoblade, and Prince Fundy."
The nobility rose and sat down as the king sat. The courtiers sat either side of the thrones, other nobles to the sides of them forming a circle leaving the carpet opposite of the thrones bare. In the centre of the circle was a table, at which sat Rajmund and Reginald Braithwaite. Reginald was stoic, and Rajmund's head was bowed over the table in front of him too low for his face to be seen. (Y/n) was sat with the courtiers in the seat closest to Prince Technoblade, as per his request.

"Rajmund Braithwaite, you are hear today for the crime for attempted murder of the crown heir and illegal ownership of potions. How do you plead?"

Rajmund drew a breath, but stopped when his father stood.

"Your highness, my son pleads guilty of attempted murder. However,

on claims of illegal ownership of potions, he pleads not guilty."

Shocked whispers and scoffs were heard around the room. Wilbur subconsciously held his son tighter.

"Lord Braithwaite, there are no records of any potions in your son's name, nor is there any in your family's name, within any archives available to us. What evidence do you have?"

Two servants rushed into the room: one with a face recognisable as a servant of the castle, and the other unknown to Wilbur. The unknown servant had the Braithwaite's family crest on their jacket, and handed Reginald a sheet of paper. The other servant handed King Philza the other sheet. Phil paid little to the sheet, handing it straight to his eldest son. Wilbur scanned the page, and his suspicions were confirmed. Meanwhile, Reginald brandished his document high.

"This is a permit for the ownership of potions, allowing the claimed potions to be owned by my son, signed one week ago by the eldest prince Wilbur."
Another round of whispers.
A blind man could've seen the smug grin on Reginald's face just from the tone of his voice.
Wilbur could feel his family's gaze on him, his father and brother looking in disbelief. He didn't look back, only held onto his son.

"Wilbur, is that true?"
"Yes." Still Wilbur refused to look to his family. He didn't think he could handle the look of anger or disappointment on their faces. Instead, he brushed his finger's through Fundy's hair, lulling the tired boy to sleep. When he finally looked to Phil, he mouthed to him, 'I'm sorry', and continued focusing on his son.
Wilbur ignored his father's verdict, he ignored Rajmund's sentence, he ignored Reginald's stare, he ignored the whispers of the nobility. He focused solely on Fundy.

Phil had no chance to question Wilbur, for it was time for the 2nd and final trial of the day, the trial of Charles (L/n). Phil glanced to (Y/n), seeing her gripping her skirt with so much force it was astonishing the fabric hadn't ripped. 

Five minutes had passed.

Ten minutes.

Fifteen.

The nobility were full of sound, complaining, gossiping and the like. But all fell silent as several guards rushed into the room, bowing before the King. The front guard rose and looked to the king. He was the one, (Y/n) recognised, who led the arrest of her father. Where was he?

"Your majesty, the dungeons are empty, and a guard was found unconscious. 

Lord Charles (L/n) is missing."