Chapter 27: Ted

"What?! Officers, please, there must have been some sort of misunderstanding-"

"No, (Y/n), I'll go. Might as well sort everything out there."

(Y/n) didn't understand why her father was so willing to go with the officers. Treason was such an extreme accusation, death being the usual penalty. All it took was one item of slightly incriminating evidence, and Charles could be sent to the gallows. (Y/n) obviously doubted any such evidence existed, but there were police handcuffing her father and beginning to lead him out of the house as a guard entered Charles' study. 

"I'm sorry miss, but you will need to stay elsewhere while the investigation is underway." Down the hall, by the stairs, (Y/n) saw Fred. She had her hands buried in her skirt, worrying the fabric between her fingers. (Y/n) approached her, candle still in her shaking hand while an officer read Charles his rights. "M'lady, what's going on? Why is your father being cuffed? Oh, this is too much for 3 in the morning.", Fred muttered the last part under her breath. (Y/n) went to speak, but even her breathing was shaky, and she doubted she would capable of getting a couple of words out. She hadn't even realised she had collapsed until Fred was knelt by her side, holding her face with both hands. "(Y/n), are you alright? You must be exhausted, having been woke up after an exciting night, and now all this stress. Come, let's get you back to your room."

"Can't.", (Y/n) mumbled, exhaustion seeping into her bones and rendering her speechless.
"What do you mean, 'can't', my lady?", Fred questioned.
"During the investigation, I won't be able to stay here." Fred gasped, covering her mouth in shock. "What sort of investigation is underway that they won't even let you stay in your own home?"
"... Treason." Fred's eyes were as wide as saucers, and she whispered a prayer under her breath. She looked around frantically as she thought, (Y/n) trying to ignore the looks of pity from the officers behind her. "I've got it!", Fred declared in success. (Y/n) simply followed behind her as Fred guided her to her bedroom and helped her change. (Y/n) sat silently on her bed while Fred packed some clothes and keepsakes into a suitcase. She did nothing but watch as Fred zipped the suitcase closed and took her by the hand.

____________________________________________

The sun was peering over the horizon when the carriage came to a stop, the lurching motion waking (Y/n) from her restless sleep. Looking out the window to her right, she saw a building she had passed a hundred times over. It was a house in town, one she passed whenever heading towards the market. It didn't stand out amongst the other houses along the road, it was just a semi-detached house, like the majority of the houses along this road were. Simple brick walls, white window sills, grey slate roof, wooden door with a house number just above the door knocker. The only distinction that made the house recognisable was a well-tended to rosebush next to the front door. 

"Where are we, Fred?", (Y/n) asked, rubbing her bleary eyes.
"This is my brother's home. Hopefully, he will allow us to stay here for a while."
"But your home is only near the estate? You don't need to do this for me."
"Miss, I promised to take care of you as much as possible when your mother passed. My home is nothing but a bed I go to after living in the estate during the day. My brother will be able to help the both of us, and I refuse to abandon you in a time of need. You did the same for me when I was in need.", Fred reminded, guiding her lady to the door and knocking quickly.

The two of them stood quietly as the carriage left and some quiet sounds were heard on the other side of the door. "Who the hell is at the door before sunrise?", the two of them heard, before the door swung open. 
"Hi, Teddy. Sorry I couldn't send a warning, but lady (L/n) hasn't got a place to stay for the night and I was hoping you could let us stay here for a few days." Teddy was ready to ask questions, but it was clear the two on his doorstep didn't have the energy to give answers. He simply stepped aside and allowed them to enter. 

"I'm sorry for any inconveniences I'm causing you.", (Y/n) apologised, seeing Teddy was just as tired she was. He assured her it was no problem, holding his hand out for her to shake. Both of their grips were weak with fatigue. "It's nice to formally meet you, even if it's during the witching hour. I'm Ted Nivision, though Fred's always called me Teddy."
"I'm (Y/n) (L/n), and Fred's always called me Lady (L/n) despite basically being a mother to me.", (Y/n) responded with a tired laugh. Ted carried (Y/n)'s suitcase to the guest room, despite her protests; she looked ready to pass out on the spot. 

The room was quaint yet homely. Beige curtains framed the window on the right wall, facing the road. A recently lit candle was on the desk against the back wall, bathing the room in a soft yellow glow. A small bed was next to the desk, pressed against the left wall. It had a duvet covered in patches of various colours and patterns, each of them a stark contrast to the others. It had two pillows at the head and an additional blanket at the foot. Covering the wooden floors was a small brown rug, and a pair of slippers was next to it. "The floor's always cold during the night.", Ted explained.

(Y/n) simply nodded, not having paid attention to what he had said because all she could think of was sleep. The moment Fred and Ted had bid her a good night and left, she fell face first onto the bed, giving in to her body's need for rest. The night felt as if it had gone on for too long.

Hopefully, the morning would arrive with good news.