Chapter 6: Confrontation

Any noise immediately vanished as Techno slowly opened the doors of the throne room with his head hung low, a prolonged tense silence surrounding everyone inside. Techno slowly raised his head and locked eyes with his father, Philza. They kept this staring contest going until both of them finally spike in sync, both surprised by what the other said: "I'm sorry." It was quiet once again as the two took in what they said. "Phil, why are you apologising? I was acting like child having a tantrum when I stormed off, I should be the one apologising.", he told his dad, who was equally surprised. "What do you mean? I'm the one who immediately brought up marriage despite you only knowing you were heir to the throne for less than a day! I can't blame you for storming out.", Philza responded. Seeing as they looked like they were going to fall out for the 2nd time that they over something as idiotic as who should be apologising, their one-person audience decided to intervene.

"If you two don't stop, I'm getting Tommy and he's just had a full day without Tubbo so he's gonna be louder than usual. I know, I took the blunt of it all day.", Wilbur threatened with a smile on his face but a look of actual pain in his eyes. Immediately the two of them stopped. "Forget what we were on about. Wilbur, you ok?", Techno asked, genuinely concerned despite feeling the need to laugh. Wilbur just let out a pained laugh before responding, "No. No I am definitely not." As a short moment of silence fell, Techno swore he could actually hear Tommy yelling from wherever he was, and it seemed as the other two did too, as a moment later the three of them burst out in laughter. They all had smiles on their faces as the laughter died down, Philza wiping a tear from his eye. It was quiet again as they went back to the topic at hand.

"So... What now?", Techno asked Phil, unsure of how to move forward. Phil was quiet as he thought before voicing his idea. "While you do need to find someone, you know I don't plan to arrange anything, so we should do something where you can view all potential partners and if you see someone you might be interested in, you can get to know them. Any ideas?", Philza asked his two eldest sons. Wilbur looked down in thought for a moment until his head shot up. "What about a ball? We can hold multiple balls so if Techno meets someone, he'll have more time to get to know them. You can find yourself a Cinderella.", Wilbur finished just as the doors to their right swung open and Tommy, who had been listening the whole time, and he yelled "HA! BALLS!", before bursting into a fit of laughter. This laughter was silenced when Techno hit the tall child over the back of his head.

"I kinda like that idea. It's super optimistic, something I am not, but what's the harm in trying?", Techno said, his thoughts in that moment suddenly filled by the beautiful girl with (h/c) hair. "You could embarrass yourself in front of literally every woman who you could marry-OW! What the fuck?!", Tommy yelled after once again getting hit over the head by Technoblade. The night continued with discussion of when the balls would occur as well as who to invite. While there wasn't much rush to solidify all the details, Techno had more or less thought through all preparations ready to be put into action. When he retired to his chambers that night, he slipped off his cloak and folded it neatly before simply tossing the rest of his clothes to the floor and changing into his nightwear, leaving his shirt open as it was a warm night. Laying in bed, his thoughts drifted freely before bringing the maiden he'd met to his direct attention. As he drifted into a deep sleep, the last thing he remembered was the melodious laugh that lingered in his mind.

When Techno opened his eyes, he didn't feel tired at all, as if he had merely blinked and reopened his eyes instead of waking up from a long sleep. Looking around, he suddenly became weary of his surroundings. He was no longer in his chambers, but in a long stone corridor, which he assumed was underground after seeing the support beams lining the walls and ceiling as well as the lack of windows. Torches protruded from the walls as if hastily shoved in at irregular intervals, some at random angles and others close to falling out. Techno took a loose torch and held it out as he walked down the dusty corridor, his bare hoofed feet clicking with each step. The corridor seemed to have no end as Techno kept walking, the only sound being his quiet breathing and clicking steps. As Techno walked further, he considered heading back to see if he missed a door or anything other than the same repeating corridor, but decided against it when he spotted something: an end to the corridor.

He took careful steps and got into a defensive stance as he approached the door, prepared for someone or something to emerge from the other side of it. He paused a few metres from the door. Nothing came. He approached it and grasped the handle. Still, there was nothing. Techno took a deep breath and prepared for the worst as he swung the door open. Nothing. An empty room. The same stone as the corridor, same wood support beams, same hastily placed torches. It's as if it was newly built. Unfinished. Techno was frustrated, seeing as he had walked so far and found absolutely nothing, and began to leave. But then he saw it. A protruding stone from the wall. It didn't seem to even be attached. It was more or less just leaning against the wall, but it went a little into the wall. Techno's curiosity got the better of him. Knocking the slab out of the way, Techno found something: a chest. He successfully dragged the heavy box out of its hole in the wall and knelt in front of it. As he swung open the lid, he froze. It was dynamite. And lots of it. He felt a chill go up his spine as he heard a familiar voice.

"What are you doing here?"