Chapter 38: Fault

Phil found Wilbur in Fundy's room, sat on the floor next to the bed where his son slept. Wilbur was in the same clothes he wore during the trial, the white shirt creased and wrinkled having been worn for almost 12 hours. Will had definitely heard the door open, but did not turn away from his son. He knew what Phil was there to talk about, but made no sound. All of his focus was on his copper child. Phil closed the door behind him, a single candle on the nightstand now the sole light source in the room. The king sat on the bed close to his son and grandson. He placed a hand on Wilbur's head, running his fingers through the knotted curls like Wilbur did to his son in turn. Phil remembered the feel of his own father's hand running through his shoulder length hair. I suppose it's a family thing, Phil thought contently.

"They took Fundy.", Wilbur whispered. The hand brushing his hair stopped. His words took a moment to register to Phil. 
"That's why I signed the documents. They threatened to take Fundy again if I told anyone. He was bruised, and so scared. I'm sorry." Wilbur's voice wavered, and a sob choked him from inside his throat. He waited for disappointment, for disapproval, but neither came. Philza placed a hand on Wilbur's left shoulder and guided him to lay his head on his father's lap. He felt Wilbur's tears soak into his trousers, but paid it no mind as the eldest prince quietly cried. He continued petting his son's head, looking over to his sleeping grandson. "It's ok Wilbur, no one's upset with you. I'd do the exact same thing if I were in your place. You did what you determined was best for Fundy, and I'm very proud of you for it."

At that, Wilbur's shoulders began to shake as the suffocating sobs were finally freed. Phil continued petting his son's head and let him cry. It had been a while since the last time he had spent time being close to his eldest son. Wilbur struggled to keep his cries quiet, hoping to let his son sleep peacefully. However, Fundy began to stir and he blinked his eyes open. The first thing Fundy noticed was his grandfather. "G'morning grandpa.", the tired toddler slurred. Phil laughed. Next Fundy noticed his father holding a hand over his mouth, hoping to muffle his crying, but Fundy saw glistening tears on his father's face, illuminated by candlelight. 
"Oh no! Don't cry dad! Did you have a bad dream? Was there a monster? Me and grandpa will fight the monster for you, don't cry." Fundy kicked the duvet of himself, revealing his pink duck pyjamas, and crawled over to his grandpa. Fundy's fluffy paw joined his grandfather's in petting Wilbur's head.

Phil wrapped an arm around his grandson. "Get up on the bed and sit with us, Wilbur. We'd join you down there, but Fundy still needs sleep and I won't be able to get up after.", Phil joked. Wilbur and Fundy laughed with Phil.
When Kristen came looking for Phil, she didn't mind heading back to bed alone. The mental image of her husband, son, and grandson sleeping on each other was enough to keep her happy.

__________________________________

"I don't know where he could've gone, or why he'd avoid the trial, I promise-"

"(Y/n), you owe me no promises. You don't know anything, and that's the end of it. You don't need to apologise for actions that weren't your own."

She kept pacing and ranting as if she didn't hear him. Techno was sat in (Y/n)'s room after dinner, and she hadn't been able to sit still for the entire two hours he's been there with her. Whether it's pacing or reorganising the vanity, she hadn't sat down for any longer than five minutes. Techno was hoping to talk to her, reassure her she isn't at fault, maybe even revisit the woods now he was no longer hindered by the affects of the wither potion. As she went to pace past him, Techno stood and took hold of (Y/n)'s hands. She turned to him with a look of annoyance, but she immediately dropped when she saw Techno's face covered in concern. "I'm sorry, you came here to talk with me, but I've just been talking at you."

"It's ok, it's understandable for you to be stressed." She didn't seem convinced. "We don't know where your father is, but we'll find him and bring him back. And then, we'll get to the bottom of all of this. You'll get the explanation you're after, I promise. Now come sit down and let's just talk like we used to. Did you read anything good recently?"
(Y/n) appreciated Techno's change in topic, and began speaking about a book she read about fish. Techno was happy to sit and listen to her forever.

__________________________________

"You sure you wanna do this, sir? Not to pry, but it sounds like your leaving future conversations to turn sour. These sound like the kind of things you get over quickly so everyone can heal.", a hooded individual asked. Their eyes were hidden by bronze goggles, and a lock of grey hair fell from the hood as the figure shook their head. They were quick to tuck it back into place, despite knowing it would fall back down later. The brunette man nodded grimly. "I can't even bring myself to look at the one I'm leaving behind. It'll be fine, she will understand my actions when I return to her. She will be safe, that's what matters."

The hooded figure seemed like they had more to say, but they snapped the reigns and ushered the horse on. "Alright then. Pull up your hood, the tunnel runs directly under sewers and those weren't built with downstairs neighbours in mind." The man shivered in disgust, but did as he was told, hiding his face in the shadows of the cloak. The wagon jostled as the wheels tumbled over rocks, and the horse tossed its head back as the flies swarmed around its face. He didn't want to leave her in this way. He didn't want to leave her with so many unanswered questions. Was she safe? Where was she staying? Was she happy? Was she worried about him? 

Those questions would not be answered for quite some time. All Charles could do is pray all went to plan as a light appeared at the end of the tunnel.