Chapter 25: A Dance

Fortunately, picking out his outfit was much easier than last time. This time, Techno decided to pick clothes out beforehand. Phil trusted him enough to head to the party and formally greet the guests, allowing Wilbur to spend time with his son as he had planned to that night. Yes, that meant only 3 of the 6 royals would be at the actual ball, but the three sitting out weren't technically obligated to be at the ball anyway, especially Fundy.

Techno slipped on a white blouse, the cuffs unbuttoned and sleeves pulled up to his elbows, exposing the muscles of his forearms. Adorning each wrist, he had a variety of gold and jewelled bracelets, the shine of gemstones and precious metals hopefully enough to keep eyes off any visible scars. The front was almost fully buttoned-up, with only the very top button opened. Over his blouse he had a baby blue vest, silver embroidery decorating it with little snowflakes, each similar yet unique. From the pocket of his vest hung the chain of a silver pocket watch. Around his neck, Techno wore a few golden chains and a silver necklace. From this necklace hung a chunk of uncut alexandrite, its hues a spectrum from green to blue to purple. It was a gift from his mother, a birthstone on his birthday. She said it represented joy and mental stability. Techno doubted a gemstone could suddenly bring him mental stability, but it was a gift from mumza. That instantly made it a good gift.

A portion of Technoblade's hair was braided, while the rest was left open underneath. A few strands of short hair framed his face, occasionally being pushed behind his pointy ears. Several silver helix earrings ran from the pointed tip of his ears down to his lobe. His right ear had a slice where the other had a piercing, making it uneven. Dangling from his lobes, he had had small golden earrings fashioned to look like daffodils, one of his favourite flowers. He also added a bit of eyeliner and the slightest bit of red tint to his lips, but he would deny it if questioned.

While approaching the ballroom, Techno could hear the sound of chatter and music. The festivities had already begun. He was late, not that he cared. The doors were opened for him, and he was quickly approached by his father and mother. He gave them a quick greeting each before being led around the room. He was introduced to council members, a judge, and several people of high status: all people who he would need to be acquainted with if he was to do well when his reign as king began. He made small talk and thanked people for coming, not paying any mind to the sound of the doors at the top of the stairs reopening. 

Meanwhile, (Y/n) had just arrived at the castle, Tommy and Tubbo escorting her through the castle towards the ballroom, guiding her by the hands as she giggled at their antics. The boys approached the already open doors and rushed to the railing, finally releasing (Y/n)'s sore hands. She watched as the boys' heads visibly turned left and right as they scoured the room for the crown prince. Tubbo grabbed his royal friend by the shoulder and shook him, pointing eagerly at a point near the centre of the room. Both boys glanced back at (Y/n) before turning right back. Having had enough of the confusion, (Y/n) stepped forward and looked into the ballroom.

In the middle of the room, looking to be extremely uncomfortable, was Technoblade. And dancing with him, more draping herself over him than dancing though, was Isabella. While Techno's hands were kept barely grazing her waist, Isabella was clinging to him with her arms around his shoulders. You didn't need a telescope to see how she was pressing her breasts into his chest. (Y/n) felt overwhelming empathy for Techno; he did not look happy in that situation. There was a lingering feeling in the back of her mind, whispering insecurities into her ear in hopes of breaking her down: fear. Fear of Techno giving up on her, or replacing her. But before the tendrils of this ugly feeling could grab hold of her, she shook it of and took to the stairs.

What if he does like her but feels like he can't act on it because of you?

The question in (Y/n)'s mind was knocked aside immediately. 
To others, Techno simply looked a little uncomfortable with the proximity, but through her eyes, (Y/n) could see disgust and discomfort written all over him (or maybe that was just Isabella). She had seen a similar look when he slipped his boot on by the lake in the woods, only to take it off immediately after and shake out a particularly large slug. In this case, he was caught in the grasp of a rude slug with boobs.

(Y/n) had practically flew down the stairs before approaching the dancing pair. She slowed her pace as Techno's eyes locked with hers, his cerulean orbs flooded with relief. The pair's dance slowed to a stop as (Y/n) approached. Stooping to a low curtsey, she rose and looked into the eyes of Isabella. A look of disgust danced over her face before being quickly replaced with a fake smile. "May I have a dance with prince Technoblade?"
"N-"
"Of course." Techno quickly created some much needed distance between him and Isabella, bowing to (Y/n) and stepping close to her. 

He placed his hand on her hip and she placed hers on his shoulder, their free hands clasped together as they began dancing together. "Thank notch you arrived when you did, I think she was gonna make a move on me.", Techno whispered. (Y/n) giggled. 
"You've came to my rescue before, it was my turn to come to yours."

The sound of chatter and music become faint as the two focus solely on each other. They glide around the ballroom effortlessly, walls falling away around them and people disappearing from their attention. The sound of the orchestra was slowly replaced by the natural ambiance of the forest: violin became birdsong, wind instruments were replaced by the sound of wind rushing through the leaves of oaks, piano was the sound of dew dripping into the glimmering pond. Even the tile of the floor, for a moment, felt like grass tickling their bare feet. It felt like the only thing that brought (Y/n) warmth was the hand intertwined with hers and the arm around her waist, holding her close. 

A few strands of Techno's hair tickled her cheek as it fell from behind his ear. She wordlessly brought her hand to his face and pushed it back, noticing the sudden catching of Techno's breath as her thumb brushed his cheek. (Y/n) felt Techno's hand pressed flat against her back, pulling her close until they were torso to torso. Were they even still dancing, or had they stood still like time had? They didn't have an answer. However, Techno could list every colour in (Y/n)'s eyes, categorising them based on how much light was available. Each and every one. (Y/n) could tell you the story about every scar on Techno's face and hands, separating them into unintentional injuries and small sacrifices he made for the sake of the bigger image. From the smallest scratches to the tear in Technoblade's ear and a scar that could've otherwise been a missing finger. Despite this, they couldn't even tell you if the music was still going, just that the two of them were together.

No matter where they were, they were together. 

And they both silently prayed it would stay like that forever.