Chapter 26: Knocking

Techno waved (Y/n) off again that night, both of them immediately yearning to be close to one another again. However, it was an ungodly hour of the night and tomorrow would come sooner if they gave themselves a chance to sleep. (Y/n) gazed out the carriage window, eyes weaving between stars as they created patterns and shapes in her mind. Some were actual constellations, while others were simply whatever her mind saw. It was no surprise that the majority of them made her think of Technoblade.

Looking to the upper floor as the carriage arrived home, (Y/n) saw her father's study dark, the usual yellow candle light not there. Hopefully he had retired to his room, and not fallen asleep at his desk as he had been doing too frequently. (Y/n)'s feet felt like they were filled with lead as she stepped down from the carriage and tiredly made her way to the door, Fred waiting in the open doorway. "Come on, let's get you to bed." (Y/n) simply nodded her head with a tired smile, giving Fred a hug before stepping inside. (Y/n) could barely remember washing off her make-up and changing into her nightwear, passing out the moment her head touched her pillow.

____________________________________

The stems of the outer honeysuckles were tattered as (Y/n) squeezed them and moved them from one hand to the other. She liked the flowers she had chosen for the bouquet; the mix of pink honeysuckle, Techno's birth flower, and her favourite flower contrasted each other beautifully. (Y/n) took another glance in the mirror. Her hair was styled to suit her face shape, pearl earrings decorated with gold hanging from her earlobes. She had very simple make-up which simply brought more attention to her existing features. Despite her nerves, (Y/n) had to admit she felt beautiful.

The outfit that she had picked had originally confused (Y/n); she could barely recognise herself, thinking there was no way she could look so amazing because of an outfit. But now, her eyes were scanning the mirror for flaws that she had to hide. When she came up short, she looked again. And again. 
"Goodness, (Y/n)! What insults have that mirror thrown at you for you to glare at it so harshly? That's definitely the gaze of a natural ruler, you have naught to worry about.", Fred assured upon entering the room. She straightened out any visible creases on (Y/n)'s clothes and fretted about around her hair.

"You look like a queen; rather fitting for what's about to happen, eh?", Fred teased, stepping back and holding out a hand for (Y/n). She accepted it and relished the motherly grip Fred had. She was guided out of the room and into the well lit corridor. Looking up, glistening glass allowed sunlight to filter into the hallway undisturbed. Flowery decorum was hung from pillars at regular intervals, giving the pearly walls a natural touch. (Y/n)'s footsteps were silent upon the red carpets as she approached a grand pair of wooden doors at the end of the corridor. "Since your father can't be here, I'll walk you down to him, dear."

Where is father?

(Y/n)'s heartrate increased tenfold as the doors were slowly pulled open. She squinted as light shone in her eyes, waiting for them to adjust before looking around the room. Rows upon rows of people stood from their seats upon seeing you, the sound of violins and other string instruments playing the perfect song for a wedding. Fred locked her arm with (Y/n)'s, placing a reassuring touch on her forearm. There were so many eyes on her, yet there was only one person's gaze who had (Y/n)'s heart beating like a drum: the man stood at the end of the aisle with hair like cherry blossoms.

Her feet seemed to move on her own as (Y/n) began walking down the aisle, nothing visible to her but the cerulean eyes of Technoblade. She felt like she was walking on a cloud: like she was no longer restrained by gravity, but also like one wrong step meant falling from however far up she was. The only things anchoring her were the warm touch of Fred's hands and the genuine smile on Techno's face. The fact she was the one making Techno smile so brightly, making him so happy, had her heart doing cartwheels in her chest. She couldn't fight the smile off her face, even if she had tried.

As Fred let go of (Y/n)'s arm and ushered her forward, (Y/n) turned and gave her a large hug. Stepping back from the embrace, Fred's eyes were glossed over with tears. The sight almost had (Y/n) crying too. Turning, her eyes locked with Technoblade's again. It felt like it was gravity bringing her closer to him, rather than her own two feet. They were arm's length apart when their hands took hold of the others', fingers entwining so their hands were palm to palm. They couldn't look anywhere but their partner's eyes. To their left, with a bundle of ribbons in his hand, stood the king with a fatherly smile on his face.

The words the King said went straight into one ear and out the other. Right now, the only people in the world was Technoblade and (Y/n), and that was all she needed. The rest of the world only registered when she felt Fred's hand on her shoulder.
"M'lady."
"Oh, sorry. I zoned out."
"Lady (Y/n)!"
"What? Is something the matter, Fred?"
"My lady, wake up!"
"What?"
"Please wake up!"

"LADY (Y/N), WAKE UP!"

________________________________________

(Y/n) gasped and shot up in her bed, Fred's hand on her shoulder, having previously been attempting to shake her awake. "What, Fred? What's going on?"
"There are police at the door, and your father won't answer when I call for him. His door is locked, and the officers are demanding to see a member of the household. Please hurry!"

(Y/n) jumped out of bed and quickly tossed a robe on over her nightwear and rushed down to the front door, ignoring the sharp chills that shot up her legs with each collision between the cold wooden floors and her bare feet. The officers were still knocking harshly against the door as (Y/n) set down her candelabra (one she haphazardly picked up in a rush) and opened the door. "Good evening, officers. What brings you all here so late?", (Y/n) queried, eyes scanning over the five or more armoured and armed officers she could see stood at the door.

"Apologies for the late intrusion, Miss. Who would you be?"
"(Y/n) (L/n), daughter of Charles (L/n), the lord of the household."
"Well, Miss (L/n), we hate to have awoken you at such an ungodly hour, but we have serious business with your father. Would you be able to bring him to us, or us to him?"
"Someone attempted to rouse him earlier, but he didn't get up. I could escort you to his chamber?"
"That would be very much appreciated, Miss. Please, lead the way."

(Y/n) picked up the lit candelabra and began the ascent up the stairs, the officers quickly following her. Looking back, there were five armoured men following her, and two more stood by the open front door. She quickly turned back to face forward as she reached the 2nd floor landing, turning left down the hallway towards her father's study and adjacent bedroom. "This is his room."
"Miss, please ask him to open his door, do not tell us we are here, and then step away from the door.", the leading officer instructed quietly, his left hand moving to rest on the pommel of his sheathed sword.
"What's going on?"

"Miss, we can't tell you yet. Please do as I have asked, or things will be made much more difficult. Please cooperate, and this will all preferably be sorted by sunrise." (Y/n) was scared, but decided the only option she really had was to just do as she was asked. She knocked on the door, simply tapped her knuckles against the door three times, and waited for a response. She received none. She tried again, this time the knock she always did as a child when she had a bad dream and wanted to hide under her parents' bed covers. Knock, knock, knock-knock-knock. "Father, it's me. Can I come in?"

(Y/n) stepped back from the door as sounds were heard on the other side of the door. The officers stood in front of the door as they heard it unlock. When Charles opened the door, expecting to see his daughter, he was instead face-to-face with several guards. "What's going on? Why are you here? What do you want?", Charles asked, legs trembling.

"Lord Charles (L/n), you are being placed under arrest under reports of treasonous acts."