𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄

⦿ ◎ ⦿

⦿ ◎ ⦿

Tires burned on the pavement as Scott raced his dirt bike at a school parking lot, stopping with me at the back. I climb off the back, and we yank off our helmets as Stiles' Jeep pulls up beside us. "Where is she?" Stiles asked us, and before we could say anything, someone called out to us. "Over here!"

We look over and see Allison and Lydia come out of the shadows. "It's the same thing- same thing as the pool. I got into the car heading somewhere totally different and ended up here."  Lydia said, and Stiles' eyes widened. "You found a dead body?" Stiles asked, but Lydia shook her head, "Not yet?"

"Not yet? What do you mean, 'not yet?' Lydia, you're supposed to call us after you find the dead body." He says, and she scoffs. "Oh no. I'm not doing that again. You find the dead body from now on." Lydia said when I got the scent of blood, making me look around. That's when I notice Scott looking around as well.

"How are we supposed to find the dead body? You're always the one finding the dead body!" I hear Stiles tell Lydia. I keep glancing around until I find the scent coming from a few feet away. "Guys..." Scott said, gaining the other's attention. "We found the dead body." I said as we all stared at Deputy Graeme's body. It was sat on top of the Beacon Hills High School sign with a garrote around her neck and blood streaming down the stone and brick.

🌑

Ms. Blake walks the aisle between the desks as she lectures us in class. "Idioms, analogies, metaphors, and similes. All tools for the writer to tell their story." She explained, not noticing everyone's bored expression as she talked. I see her pause at Lydia's desk, "Lydia, I wasn't aware you had so many hidden talents." Ms. Blake says, and I hear Lydia hum.

"You and every guy I've ever dated." She said, making me let out a snort. "And that was an idiom, by the way." Mama. Blake says, but Lydia goes back to her drawing. "Idioms are something of a secret to the people who know the language or culture." She continues walking around up to the front. "They're phrases that only make sense if you know keywords. Saying 'jump the gun' is meaningful only if you know about the starting gun in a race. Or a phrase like 'seeing the whole board.'"

"Like chess." Stiles mutters, and Ms. Blake smiles at him. "That's right, Stiles. Do you play?" She asked, and Stiles shook his head. "Uh, no. My father does." He says. "Now, what does an idiom become a cliché?" Ms. Blake asks as hands go up. That's when Scott leaned in to whisper to me and Stiles as well as Rami since he was next to me and could hear him. "I think I can get to Ethan. I'm pretty sure I can make him talk."

I looked at him, confused, "What do you need to talk to him for?" I ask. "The Emissaries are druids, right?" He said, and I nodded. "So what if the Darach was an emissary to the Alphas?" He said. "First of all, I can't believe we've gotten to the point where a sentence like, 'what if the Darach was an emissary to the Alphas.' actually makes sense to me. Second, there's a huge problem with getting to Ethan." Stiles said.