Chapter 4: Vanish

Rinni's POV

We decided to take a simple mission, well as simple as we can agree on. I wanted to do a little bit harder tasks but that's a no-go. I can't blame them, I have warned them that I am careless and reckless. I lay in the forest watching the canopy above me. I didn't know I fell asleep until I felt someone shaking me awake.

"You okay Rinni?" Maka asked

"Yeah I'm fine, I must have fallen asleep while waiting" I said while yawning a bit

"Yeah no kidding, you were snoring loud as hell" that got Soul a Maka chop and a kick to the shin as a reward

"Ow! What the hell?!"

"It's not cool to say those" I said

"And it's not cooler to lie" he argued

"You could have stayed quiet, you know that right?" Maka said helping me out

"Exactly. Some opinions aren't even necessary to say." I added

"Whatever. Let's just go if we want to make it on time."

I sighed and got up, stretching and then doing a couple of jumps to wake myself up. With a nod, we left Death City to our destination, which took us a good two or three hours of travel. We walked the streets trying to scout out things and asking for information about the kishin egg. I wanted to do some sightseeing but information gathering is important. It's hard not knowing what you're up against.

We went around asking about the murders and so on. We continued to investigate and sightsee as we gathered the information we needed. Soon enough it was finally nighttime, and we decided to start going to the leads we had. So far we had three because those were the killing hotspots of the killer. An abandoned warehouse, a not-so-nice neighborhood, and finally, a homeless camp.

We first decided to go to the not-so-nice neighborhood to check there, and all we got were punks trying to pick a fight. We easily took care of them with a few punches and kicks. The bark was worse than their bite if I have to be honest some of them were all talk. Why did you ask? When some of them found out we were DWMA students, they began to either make a run for it or step back.

Next, we went to the homeless camp. Things that were there were just the homeless trying to go to sleep or doing whatever they could to forget about their situation. There were also a few people begging for food so they can at least get rid of the hunger they felt. The two leads so far were a couple of duds so we began to walk to the warehouse, our final lead. Soon enough, we reached a warehouse as it was a bit close to the homeless camp.

"What do you see Maka?" I asked

Before she could even respond something burst out the doors. I tackled Maka and Soul to the ground, then immediately got up to transform my left hand and forearm into the ax head. I was lucky that I was quick enough to block it. I kicked away the killer and charged while they were still stunned. I kept dodging, blocking, and attacking.

I know Maka and Soul want to help, but we had a deal. I continued to dodge the attacks as I swung my arm left and right to fight this dude. I will admit, they make it seem way too easy to beat these guys. But then again they had years of training while I had months.

I ducked down, barely missing the weapon the murderer used. As they were about to slash me again, I used my blade to block it. What I did not account for was a second weapon to be suddenly used against me. The murderer brought out another knife and tried to stab me with it. Lucky for me I caught sight of it and twisted and rotated in the other direction. Because of that, I managed to safely unlock my weapon from the primary knife. Sadly I did not go unscathed.

The killer lost their balance with what I did and the blade made contact with my right leg, leaving a small slash wound. With one shove kick from me, the killer hit a wall and I saw the opening. I immediately delivered the final blow. I panted as a red soul slowly forms.

"Yeah! I did it!" I smiled

"Congrats, that was pretty cool"

"You did great!"

"Thanks. I wouldn't have been able to do this if it weren't for you both."

"Rinni you did this all on your own like you wanted" Maka said

"I know that, but if it weren't for you two coming along I don't think they would have let me do this mission on my own. So I can say I owe you both."

"Then how about some grub? I mean it is late and we haven't eaten anything-"

"Maka... Chop!"

I flinch as I see the book hit Soul on the top of his head. Again, never get into Maka's bad side. I do not want to have to experience a Maka Chop. I watched the two as they bicker for a bit before smiling.

"Soul does have a point, I am kinda hungry and it can be an excuse to celebrate this successful mission."

"See Maka, even Rinni agrees with me"

"Yeah, it wouldn't hurt, right? So where are we gonna eat?"

After talking a bit about where we were going to eat, Soul and Maka decided to get his bike parked a block away. While I waited for them I'll absorb the red soul, that was the plan. They quickly left, wanting to go home and relax. I touched the red soul only to be blinded by white light, then came the gravitational force. Wait, I know this feeling and situation, am I going home? Before I could ask more questions, all I saw was black, even though it was so bright.

Maka's POV

About halfway to the motorcycle, I felt someone's soul vanish, not just anyone, it was Rinni. I immediately turn and run back.

"Hey Maka! Where are you going?!" Soul shouted as he ran after me

"Something's wrong! I can't sense Rinni's soul!"

We hurried back only to find a red soul floating and no Rinni to be found. I closed my eyes and concentrated more to look for her here but no luck, I couldn't find her. I concentrated harder, trying my best, but nothing. I snapped out of it when I felt hands on my shoulders.

"Maka! Where the hell is Rinni?"

"I don't know... I... I can't find her..."

I began to panic as I felt my heart beating fast and loudly. We were supposed to watch her. What are we gonna say to the others?