Chapter 52: Found

Soma's POV

I was leaning against the wall as Doctor Sakaki typed on his computer. I glanced down to find Shio still unconscious but it didn't take long before she awoke and sat up.

"Good morning, I see you're awake" Dr. Sakaki said as he noticed Shio wake up

"Good morning" Shio uttered

"Now then, is that Shio speaking to me? Or... Am I talking to a god? She who will devour the stars?"

"I don't know... Do... Do stars taste any good?" Shio asked

"I don't think so. And their worlds are no better. This one is drowning in so much filth, I can't imagine who would want it." I answered

"If this world is bad though, then why do I... Well sometimes ... I need to devour" Dr. Sakaki and I tensed upon hearing the last part

"We can get you food! Don't worry! Quick! Food!"

"Ah, food. Doctor, you are a good doctor."

I grabbed the bucket of food that was on the table and gave it to Shio, who started eating it. We watched for a bit before I turned to Dr. Sakaki.

"How long is this going to keep going? These little episodes of hers?"

"You know as much as I. She only recently started exhibiting human traits. But since that day she's been unstable at best. There is a chance that it is her soul. Her duality is at war inside her. On the one side, it is her humanity, or whatever is the closest, and on the other.."

"The singularity inside her." I said finishing the doctor's sentence

"Yes, exactly. You've realized it already, I'm sure. It was those missions your father sent you on. The Singularity is part of her core, and without it, there can be no Devouring Apocalypse and no final days. I am not willing to hand it over to Johannes. Not until I am certain of what it is capable of. I know there is another potential inside of her. I... I can feel it. And I plan to test it, one way or the other."

"Listen old man. I don't give a crap about either of your plans. And I'm not taking sides in this damned fight, so hear me now... If you think we're just strings to be pulled, then you're just as bad as him."

"I assure you, your worries are unfounded. I have done nothing to Shio and I will do nothing. All she needs is company and companionship, as you've been sharing with her. And I think that, in time, she'll be able to-"

The doctor was cut off by a loud explosion. The lights suddenly go out.

"Damn it! What was that?!"

"I... I don't know. Well. worry not. The backup generator should kick into motion at any moment. Oh!"

"Doctor Sakaki, how nice to know where you are" I heard my father's voice through the coms

"No... No! Damn it all, no!"

"What the hell is going on?!" I asked

"The backup generator- I should have known! It's only activated during emergencies... It's controlled by the branch! It bypasses all the extra security I've set around this room! They've found us!"

"We're completely exposed! Curse that bastard and his tricks!" I said angrily

"Our cover's blown! We're done for!"