Chapter 27

The setting sun's light shone through the open window, casting an orange glow upon the walls. Ghirahim watched his master lay on his bed, motionless. Link's skin had become unnaturally pale, giving him a ghostly appearance. The demon lord was concerned for the well-being of his master. 'So little time left... Rucht still has yet to return. How much longer can we afford to waste?' The sword spirit's white lips pressed against the skychild's cheek gently. 'He's cold... His skin is like ice. I can't imagine he'll last much longer in this state.'

Sitting cross-legged on the floor, the demon closed his eyes, listening to the sounds around him. He could hear the breeze whispering through the leaves on the trees, the howling of a distant pack of wolfos, the sounds of the harach rummaging through the kitchen. His mind wandered back to the memories he shared with Link. The day they met, the many battles they fought, their first night together, their first kiss, and now he might lose the child he loved so dearly. What would he do if he lost him? His life would become meaningless, like an endless tunnel of sorrow, misery, and grief. Never before had he felt so passionately about another. Now that he's found love with the hero, is he really going to lose him forever? He can only hope to save his beloved.

Ghirahim's head snapped up as he heard the sound of a door closing, followed by quick footsteps. Rucht appeared in the doorway, looking exhausted. "Rucht, you've returned. Did you retrieve the gem?" Rucht gazed into the demon's dark eyes, a smile spreading across his face as he held up a large, black and red crystal. In that moment, as the crystal was handed to him, a feeling of hope returned to his heart. "With this, we can save master!" 'Master, I can hardly wait to see you again.'