Act 4, Chapter 3

You had turned off the lights everywhere downstairs but the ones in the hallway, in the bathroom and in your room would stay on for the night.

You even put a lamp in your closet and turned it on, it was the one from the study room.

It was only important to you that Chrollo couldn't come into your room and literally couldn't roam around in front of your room.

After all, you couldn't stop him from moving in the dark, but you could limit his movement radius so that you at least had some peace left.

Unfortunately, you didn't know exactly how Chrollo moved around the house.

Whether he could 'teleport' himself to any room he chose, or whether he had to go like a normal human through every room in between on his way to another.

Maybe even a tiny patch of shade was enough for him to be in a room?

Because you couldn't shake the feeling of being watched despite all the light around you, you had a hard time falling asleep.

After a long fight with your body you finally drifted off, not for too long though.

You woke up in the middle of the night.

The light was still on wherever you turned it on before you went to sleep.

You ruled out that the light woke you up, and you ruled out waking up because one of the lights went out, which meant that something else had to have changed around you to wake you up in the middle of the night.

You didn't want to get up and look for a reason so you accepted the situation and laid down again.

About to fall asleep you finally heard what must have woken you up, footsteps.

First they sounded above you, then a wooden floorboard creaked in another room.

The sound startled you again and again with each time the footsteps sounded somewhere, maybe a burglar?

No, it was Chrollo and you told yourself so too.

He could only be in the attic, downstairs, or in the study room.

So that's where the noise came from.

And in general you doubted that a burglar would break into a house that was brightly lit.

With that thought you laid down once more but the footsteps that sometimes sounded and sometimes didn't, that were sometimes closer and sometimes further away, made it impossible for you to fall asleep despite your body screaming for some rest

The tiredness took over you more and more, clouding your head but you couldn't take the last step to fall asleep because of those goddamn steps.

"Stop it!" you finally called out, half asleep, and it was actually completely quiet in the house afterwards.

A few moments later you got the deep slumber you really needed.

When you woke up the next morning, despite waking up once during the night, you were more rested than ever.

It was the first time you had a actual restful sleep and when you went to the bathroom the dark shadows under your eyes were almost gone.

When you saw that you had to smile, it went uphill.

You had almost completely forgotten the incident that night because of your condition at the time, you only knew that you woke up once, but the rest had dissappeared from your mind.

As you walked down the stairs, fully dressed and ready for the day, you hadn't even noticed that the door to the basement was open.

It wasn't until you turned around to walk to the dining room table with your breakfast ready that you saw it.

You froze in your spin and stared at the open door for a moment before setting your food on the counter and stepping closer.

The window from the kitchen kindly lit down to the floor and you carefully peeked past the steps to the windows.

They were blacked out, as was the attic window.

You moved closer to maybe see what was making the windows darker, even standing on the first step and leaning forward a bit.

Again, only a few rays of light got through the already small windows and you had to move your body to let in enough light from the kitchen so that you could even roughly see what was blocking the windows.

It seemed to be wood and tools that were stacked in front of the windows, like the boxes upstairs in the attic.

You had noticed the long wooden boards before, but now they were piled up in front of the two narrow windows, together with the tools that were usually lying on the wall or on the work table.

The door behind you suddenly squeaked and you knew it meant it was closing.

In no time at all you pushed yourself out of the basement and only a half a second later the door slammed shut and when you tried to open it, it wouldn't open anymore.

When you had worked through the shock a bit you ate your breakfast, such events felt almost normal by now.

It wasn't long before the doorbell rang and the events of the past week seemed to have flown by as you walked to the door and opened it.

Your parents were standing behind the door and you couldn't help but grin at them and embrace them in a hug.

When you broke apart again, you asked them in.

"Would you like something to drink?" you asked and both took a coffee.

You sat down together at the dining room table after your parents had hung their jackets on the hooks provided.

"And, what did I miss?" It was hard to get rid of the smile on your face.

Your parents shared a little bit about who asked about you and what was different since you left.

You also started to tell them how it was for you to live alone, in such a big house.

You left out many things, especially the ghost that seemed to live with you and that had fallen in love with you, making it almost impossible to get rid of.

You told them how lonely it was but that you had gotten used to it by now, you told them a little about the city and what you had seen of it so far and your visit to your great-uncle was also mentioned, but you left Abir and the second visit out.