54 | we are all fools in love

LYDIA
_________________________

So much can change in just a month. Last month I almost felt like a teenager, despite being in my twenties. Now I feel too old. There's too much going on and I just want to be little again. I want to crawl into my mother's arms without feeling any type of hatred for her. But I can't.

She's the one handing me over to this man.
This stranger.

Dallas has been sleeping on the sofa for two nights now. I didn't care that it was uncomfortable for him. If he wanted a bed he could go back to his house. He wasn't my problem. Not now, not ever. My parents took my phone from me due to my disobedience.

Exactly, I'm twenty-two years old and my phone is being taken from me.

It wasn't like I could try to sneak out of the house with both Dallas and my parents constantly breathing down my neck. They watched me every move, it was exhausting. I was a prisoner in my own house.

"Are you feeling better, my love?" Dallas asked when he came back in my room. I told him a lie about having a headache. "Yes, much." I sighed, staring up at my ceiling with an empty feeling in my chest. If I had to do this every day for the rest of my life I'd rather kill myself sometime soon.

"Why are you still upset with me, hm?" He asked, sitting down on the bed, fucking wrinkling my already wrinkled bedsheets even more. "Because you kissed me and made me unwillingly cheat on my boyfriend." I said fiercely, thinking about Enzo, my heart feeling warmer.

"He's not your boyfriend anymore. You'll be cheating on me if you continue to be with him now." Dallas said. Right, I almost forgot; he and I are now official, according to him and my parents. "No, I was with him before you. I already said that I'm not going to be loyal when I'm fucking being forced to marry a dickhead." I hissed.

He just chuckled as if I wasn't being serious, laying down next to me. "Lydia, will you please listen to me, darling?" He whispered, taking something out of his pocket. "I just want to make you happy. I have no ill intentions. But if you refuse to marry me, your parents will most likely find you someone else who might have very ill intentions instead."

Dallas grabbed onto my hand, then slowly slid a ring down onto my finger. "Give me a chance, sweetheart.." He sighed, kissing my temple ever so softly— I still shivered. "What about Enzo..?" I whispered, my voice breaking at the mention. "You'll have to end things with him." He said.

No.
No.

"I don't want to.." I said, tears prickling in my eyes, my throat closing up from all the ghosts of the screams I couldn't let out. "I'm sorry, Lydia. It's not up to me. It's what your parents want." Dallas spoke, but I couldn't care. I jumped off the bed when I heard the doorbell ring. Yet, he followed.

"Goodmorning, Mrs Marson. I really need to talk to Lydia.." I could hear favorite voice in the world, so I sped up my pace, running into the hall. "Are you a friend of hers?" Mother asked him, but I knew it was no good. "Yes." Enzo answered— smart boy.

Then I saw him standing in the hallway. The weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders and everything seemed to be alright again. I didn't waste any time, I just ran into his arms immediately. I couldn't care that mother crossed her arms disapprovingly or that Dallas was watching.