45 | the words we wish to speak

ENZO
___________________________

Once we got back in our room, I helped Lydia sit down on the bed. She still seemed to be in a lot of pain, and I would've done anything to take it from her. Her bag was next to her, so she took out her nightwear and got back up.

I immediately turned around, expecting her to change. My cheeks were probably bright red once again. "Don't worry," I heard her laugh behind me. "I'll go change in the bathroom."

"Oh, alright.." I sighed, hearing a door close behind me. She was so relaxed that I wondered if there was something wrong with me for being so nervous to sleep next to her. It felt like one of the scariest things I'd done in my life. And being a retired murderer and all, I'd seen and done some scary shit.

The bed was already made, but I still did my very best to take out some of the wrinkles and replaced the pillows. I tested which pillow felt the softest and nicest to sleep on, then put that one on her side of the bed. The bed looked good, but I still felt like she deserved more comfort.

She came back out of the bathroom ten minutes later. Lydia was now wearing a silk white button up shirt with matching shorts, her lovely red hair up in a loose ponytail. She had taken her makeup off, and I loved her face so much that I didn't even notice at first. Her freckles were more visible now, and I found myself staring in admiration.

"Is something wrong?" She asked softly, pulling the sleeves of her too large shirt over her hands. "No, no, nothing. I'll just erhm— I'll just go brush my teeth and all." I smiled nervously, pointing at the bathroom, cursing myself out in my head because of my own stupidity. "Okay." She smiled.

I went into the bathroom and tried to calm myself down first. Peptalks and breathing exercises did not exactly work this time. Not when I had the most beautiful girl in the world sleeping next to me for a couple of days or weeks or even longer than that. She was gonna be the death of me.

It took me six minutes to be done. I'd changed into grey sweatpants and a black shirt, taking in another deep breath before I went back into the bedroom. Lydia was in bed, on her side with her back facing me. "Do you want the lights off?" I asked her, walking over to the switch.

"Yes, please. I'll just keep this one on our nightstand on." She said softly. But my mind lingered on the word 'our' a bit too long. I flipped the switch, my heartbeat fastening as I walked over to the bed. She seemed relaxed— too relaxed. It made me wonder if she didn't like me at all, if she saw me as just her best friend, and not something else.

I slowly got into the bed, staying as far away from her as possible because her perfume and shampoo smelled too good and I didn't want to go crazy. She was still smiling at me, almost in a mischievous way. I adored it, I adored everything about her. "Enzo, what is going on with you?" She asked me.

I can't breathe when you look at me like that.

"What do you mean..?" I asked, wondering if she was comfortable enough or if the bed was too hard or maybe too soft. "You've been so on edge the last few days." She said, moving closer to me. Lydia was most definitely able to hear my heartbeat, it was beating in my damn throat. "Oh, well— I guess.." I mumbled.

"It's unlike you, and it worries me." She whispered. Lydia stroked her fingers over my wrist, making sparks ignite in my heart before finding my hand and holding it in hers. She parted her rosy lips, raising her eyebrows and waiting for me to answer. "I-I'm fine, I just—" I said, but I couldn't even finish my sentence, I couldn't think of an excuse.

All I could think about were her fingers stroking over my hand and how I just wanted to tell her that she was so perfect it made me want to scream.

"Are you feeling better?" I asked. Changing the subject might've been the best thing I could've done. She sighed with a smile. "I am fine, Enzo. I've had migraines forever, I just need to rest. But I was asking about you." She said sternly.