19 | unholy faces

HER
___________________

Draco came back in the room after a long shower. I was still in bed, turned onto my side, smiling when I saw him. "You didn't fall asleep, did you?" He teased, laying down next to me, brushing hair out of my face. "No.." I chuckled.

I was still processing what had happened, both the good and bad parts. Spending so much time for him before our final goodbye shouldn't be good for me, but pushing him away wouldn't do any good either.

"Are you feeling better?" Draco asked, placing his hand on my waist. No, I wanted to say. No, I'm really not and I wish I could tell you so you could protect me from Leo and help me out of my misery. But saying that out loud would do no good.

"Yeah, much better." I lied, even if just relaxing in bed with Draco was one of the things I'd rather do than have panic attacks by myself. "Can I ask you something random and really personal?" I asked, watching him raise his eyebrows in curiosity. "Ask away." He said, grinning.

Getting to know him better on my last day with him probably wasn't the best idea either, but I desired to know him better. "What was your childhood like?" I asked, hearing him clear his throat. "Oh.." He said, shifting his body. "You don't have to answer if you don't want to." I said, feeling pushy.

"No, no, I do want to answer. It's just that it's very complicated." He said, pulling sheets over my body, tucking me in so that I was comfortable. And I was. My bed was still heaven. "I'm listening.." I whispered, nestling my head in the pillow.

"I was actually a very spoiled child, materially. But emotionally I lacked a lot of things. My mother was caring and sweet, but my father was entirely different and liked having control over the way they raised me. I'm much more like him that I am like my mother." Draco sighed.

"What was your father like?" I asked softly. Everyone knew Lucius Malfoy from the Daily Prophet, one of the most famous ex-Death Eaters, but I didn't know him the way Draco did. "Too serious. I wasn't allowed to cry, not even when I was five and my favorite pet died." Draco grinned, but I could see that it wasn't genuine.

"You had a pet?" I smiled, causing Draco to chuckle. "Yeah, I had a black cat. My mother named her Rosy. Didn't fit her looks at all, but she was happy with it. But she got sick when I was five and passed away. My father didn't like how much I cried. It was terrible. I spent entire days sobbing." Draco chuckled, fiddling with his rings.

"That was normal. If I had a pet now I'd cry for weeks too if it died," I said, listening to the rain outside, along with Draco's soothing voice. "Well, according to my father that wasn't manly enough." Draco said, grabbing onto my hand to distract himself, I think. "Guess that rule kinda grew on me. I haven't cried in years. Can't even imagine myself doing it." Draco said, shaking his head.

His emotions weren't weird to me at all, even if my own were. I wanted him to open up. I wanted to know his shadow self, his deepest and darkest pains so that I could understand him. "So, when I was eleven I finally went to Hogwarts. I was a dick to everyone. I did meet Enzo, Theo, Pansy and Blaise, though. They kinda kept me going." Draco said.

"Who's Pansy?" I asked, frowning. I hadn't heard of that name before, Draco forgot to mention her. "My ex-best friend. We lost contact a few months after I started this new lifestyle." Draco said, but the word best friend didn't seem to get through to me. "She was just your friend?" I asked.

"Yes.." Draco chuckled. "Last time I saw her she had a major crush on Granger, so.."

My mouth fell open, but also in relief. "Hermione Granger?!" I asked in suprise. Draco hummed, nodding with a grin. "I wonder if they're together now." I said. Now I seemed to like Pansy a lot better, not that it mattered, she and Draco hadn't talked in years. My jealousy had been useless.