28. The Forbidden Forest Isn't Very Forbidden, Right?

{-} Hermione {-}

  The room erupted with the muffled yelling from the others. They didn't seem to realise what her intention was- which was good, they could make it look more real. Only Annabeth looked like she understood what Hermione was doing but still played her part in complaining.

  Ginny was staring at her as though she had never seen her before. Neville, still choking for breath, was gazing at her in astonishment too. Luna's attention was now on Hermione, as if the scene in front of her took a tragic twist. The others were all busy thrashing and yelling.

  "I'm- I'm sorry everyone," said Hermione, pretending to cry weakly in her hands. "But I can't stand it-"

  "That's right, that's right girl," said Umbridge, seizing Hermione by the shoulders, thrusting her roughly into the abandoned chintz chair. "Now then... with whom was Potter communication just now?"

  "Well," gulped Hermione. "Well, he was trying to speak to Professor Dumbledore."

  Everyone froze at those words. Hermione wanted to scream at them to continue making a big deal about it. Fortunately, all of Umbridge's attention was focused on Hermione, so she didn't notice the sudden change.

  "Dumbledore?" asked Umbridge eagerly. "You know where Dumbledore is, then?"

  "Well... no!" sobbed Hermione. "We've tried the Leaky Cauldron in Diagon Alley and the Three Broomsticks and even the Hog's head-"

  "Idiot girl- Dumbledore won't be sitting in a pub when the whole Ministry is looking for him!" shouted Umbridge, disappointment etched in every line of her face.

  "But- but we needed to tell him something important!" wailed Hermione, holding her hands more tightly over her face. She didn't want Umbridge to know that she wasn't crying any tears.

  "Yes?" said Umbridge, regaining her excitement. "What was it you wanted to tell him?"

  "We... we wanted to tell him the w-weapon is r-ready," choked Hermione. She had it all planned in her head. Hazel had once explained to her how she controls the mist, by showing people what they wanted to see. Hermione couldn't control the mist to form any image of the weapon- but she could lie to Umbridge. She wanted to hear that Dumbledore was planning to overthrow the Ministry so that's what Hermione is going to tell her.

  "Weapon? Weapon?" said Umbridge, and her eyes seemed to pop with excitement. "You have been developing some methods of resistance? A weapon you could use against the Ministry? On Professor Dumbledore's orders, of course?"

  "Y-y-yes-" Hermione stuttered, "but he had to leave before it was finished and n-n-now we've finished it for him, and we c-can't find him t-t-to tell him!"

  "What kind of weapon is it?" Umbridge pressed, clutching Hermione's shoulder.

  "We don't r-really understand it," said Hermione, sniffling loudly. "We j-j-just did what P-Professor Dumbledore told us to do."

  Umbridge straightened, looking serious. "Lead me to the weapon."

  "T-t-hey can't see it, though," Hermione told her, glancing at the Inquisitorial Squad.

  "It is not for you to set conditions," countered Umbridge.

  "Fine," said Hermione. "Fine... let them see it, I hope they use it on you! In fact, I wish you'd invite loads of people to come and see! T-that would serve you right- oh, I'd love it if the wh-whole school knew where it was and how to u-use it, and then if you annoy any of them they'll be able to s-sort you out!"

  Those words seem to leave their affect on Umbridge. She looked around suspiciously at her Inquisitorial Squad members. Her bulging eyes resting for a moment on Malfoy, who was too slow to disguise the look of eagerness and greed that had appeared on his face.