~27~

Dempsey POV

Friday night ended with no other communication from Chris. I felt mildly bad about the way I acted but in truth I was at work, surrounded by students, parents, teachers and administration. I refuse to allow any of them see me in any type of lovey dovey form. And after previous conversations, if one could call them that, with Chris, I'm not sure where I stand on any of it.

Flashback

Late Sunday evening, just a mere forty-eight hours after one of the best nights of my life, well with the exception of Tara, I sat staring at my phone, confused by the message Chris had sent me.

Chris- Friday was fun. Maybe we can do it again sometime.

 Maybe?  That's not quite the feeling I got from our time at the game, and most certainly not a thought that crossed my mind during a heavy make out session in the parking lot following our meet and greet with the team. 

  What did I do?

  Where did I go wrong?

  Why can't I piece it all together?

  Better yet, why was I actually allowing myself to fall for a celebrity?

 Swallowing down my frustration towards the simple words I respond as breezy like as I can. 'It was a load of fun.'

  Was his 'maybe' a way of feeling me out? 

Chris- Have a good week.

At what point did we get to such simple, nonchalant sentences. 

  So, if he wants to be treated like an 'everyday Chris' then that's what he's going to get. Thus, the reason I didn't give him much attention at the school, came home and enjoyed an evening watching The Office with a pint of chocolate chip cookie dough, passing out eventually on the couch.

  Which is probably what would explain the louder sound coming from the ringing of a doorbell just a few five feet away from my head. It takes me a moment to realize where I am, and that the night has faded away while the sun begins making its appearance. 

  Another ring of the doorbell finally makes me scamper up to my feet, a slight panic filling me as it's Saturday, and quite early as I notice the wall clock reading just 6:30 AM. "Who is it?" I call out, shuffling closer to the door.

  "It's Chris!" he calls out from the opposite side of the door, stopping me in my tracks. 

  What in the actual hell? 

  I glance down at my pajama covered body and realize I'm wearing my dad's old pajama pants that I gave him as a birthday gift years ago. 

  Shoot me now.

  They're covered in all the different Cap shields. 

 Apparently I'm not done making an idiot out of myself just yet.

  "Just a second!" I may not have enough time to change my clothes but I can at least fix the disastrous mop on top of my head. I quickly pull the band out and tame it the best I can before replacing it.

  With a turn of the knob I open the door only about three inches wide, just enough to see Chris standing there in a pair of track pants and a hoodie with his Sox cap. "Can I help you?" I ask politely.

  "Dodger and I were thinking we'd go for a bit of a hike. Wanted to see if you'd like to join us."

  I glance down at his feet but don't actually see the dog. "Did you forget him?"