~12~

"No way, mom! You have to go!" Ethan pleads. 

  His excitement over the field trip carried him through the school day, practically floating by the idea of being at the aquarium overnight. However, he knew his mom wasn't suppose to be home when he got there. She usually doesn't get home until an hour later. 

  It broke Carly's heart to tell him that she'd come home from work early due to a migraine that had made her physically sick. She struggled driving home, having to pull over more than once to throw up on the side of the road. Even now she could barely sit up in the bed without her head swimming and her stomach churning. 

  "You can still go, baby. Why don't you call grandma and see if she can go with you? If she can't then you can go without me. I trust you."

  Huffing out of frustration in the change of plans, Ethan grabs the phone from the kitchen and dials Lisa's number. 

  "What's up, sis?" Chris voice comes from the other line, without even a hello of greeting.

  "Uncle Chris? Where's grandma?"

  "She's gone to the store for dinner tonight. What's wrong? You sound upset," he asks from his spot on Lisa's sofa. 

  Filming for Defending Jacob had been put on hold for the next couple of days due to heavy storms. He'd decided to take the time to enjoy the break with his mother and Dodger.

  Ethan goes on to answer him, telling him about Carly being too sick to go tonight and how she suggested Lisa. Chris knows he can't really answer for his mother, but he does remember she mentioned having an early doctor's appointment the next day. 

  "What are the times?"

  "Huh?" he responds, confused by the question.

  "What time do you have to be there? What time does it end tomorrow?" Chris spells the question out a little more clearly for the eight year old. 

  The lightbulb goes off in Ethan's brain. "Oh, right. We have to be at the school by six tonight and the bus will bring us back at nine tomorrow morning."

  Chris hears his mother's car pulling up in the drive, telling Ethan to hang tight for a minute. He meets his mom, opening the door for her and tells her about the situation. Immediately  her face falls, saddened by the fact that her daughter is sick, but also afraid to disappoint Ethan even further. 

  "My appointment is at eight in the morning." She starts unpacking the grocery bags. "Tell him I'll see if I can change it." She grabs her cell, noticing the time she knows the office has already closed for the day. Lisa motions for Chris to pass her the phone so she can explain to Ethan and apologize. 

  Chris doesn't pass her the phone, however. "Hey, bud. Grandma can't do it, but how about I come instead?"

  Ethan's excitement returns, knowing how much fun he has on a regular basis with his uncle. "You mean it?" At this point he's a bit too afraid to get his hopes up. 

  "Of course. I'll leave Dodge with grandma," Lisa nods her head in agreeance, "and I'll pick you up in an hour. We'll grab drive thru and then head to the school. What do you think?"

  "Can't wait!" he yells so loudly into the phone that Chris has to hold it away from his ear. He goes to tell him goodbye only to discover Ethan has already hung up. 

  Chris starts to help Lisa put away the groceries, seeing how she's watching him sparks his interest. "What, Ma?" 

  "Another chance to be around Miss Abrams, I see."